• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I rehome my giant rabbits?

smashed

Young Bun
Hi,
As per this thread..http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=198920
I have found 2 large (I assume Giant) rabbits. It turns out that both are male though, but inseperable.
I really like them, but I feel bad that I dont have enough time (work, cat, horse) to spend with them. The garden is currently like a bombsite as it is being re-landscaped meaning the buns are not out and about as much as I would like. That will change in a few weeks tho :) At present they live in a 6 x 4 shed that I bought for them, though they are getting exercise in the conservatory twice a day.
Anyway, I think that I would happily see them in a new home if they could go to somewhere lovely. Half of me desperately wants to keep them, but the other half knows that it will be even harder if we start a family soon.
How easy is it to find a genuine loving home for 2 big buns? I would only want them to go if they could get an even better quality of life. Is it easy to advertise on here successfully? I dont really want the awkward situation of telling somebody that they would be better off staying where they are :(

Sorry for the ramble, I am just really ambivalent about it all .

Rabbits in a pair dont really need much time spent on them as long as they get fed, cleaned, a good run around and have toys provided they do just fine. A run attached to the shed would be ideal and then free range time can wait till your gardens done.

In terms of rehoming them Im sure you would have no trouble finding them a home, they are just georgeous. You can pm Soad about putting them in the rehoming section on here. Dont feel bad whatever you chose to do as getting them wasnt something you planned so dont force yourself to keep them. Good luck whatever you choose.:)

Oh my, they are absolutely gorgeous :love::love::love:

Well done for taking them in and looking after them :) I'm really surprised that they weren't claimed by anyone as they're such stunning bunnies and look to be in good health etc.

Good luck with your decision. As Milo+Fizz says, I'm sure homes will be offered if you get them listed in RIN as they are so lovely and giants are very popular.

Wish I could have them but the o/h would be very unimpressed ... if you happen to live just down the road feel free to drop them off and I'll say they just wandered in :lol:

Wish I could have them but the o/h would be very unimpressed ... if you happen to live just down the road feel free to drop them off and I'll say they just wandered in

My thoughts exactly :lol:

The buns are gorgeous and you'd have a good chance of finding a knowledgeable home if you advertise via RU.

To be honest, 90% of rabbits have a much worse life than yours! And many don't have a home at all! Yours may not have a perfect life, but then who has! They seem to have an excellent quality of life from what you are describing, so if you are prepared to keep caring for them as you are now, then I can't see any reason why you would need to rehome them! As there is two of them, they don't need any cuddle time etc spent on them really as they have each other, so you don't need to feel bad about that either.

Vera

I think that they sound like they have a very caring bunny mummy, food, water, are kept clean, have space (ok not all the time), have each other......i think they are lucky bunnies :)
Id keep them if its possible. x

all comments are really good, as for having children it does sadden me when some people think that having a child means the possiblity of giving up there pets i have strong veiws on this, as i could never give up my pets because of a child, its a bit like life really you are thrown all sorts of problems along the way, and children are by no means easy but you just get on with it because you have to,

i dont have anything against people who do decide this provide they have tried, i understand everyone is differant, and it is good you are thinking ahead, one thing you havent mentioned is what you would do with your animals if you needed to go away for a time,

good luck in what you decide to do :D

As the others have said.....if you do happen to live down the road from me please put them over my garden fence...I can pretend theyre wildies!!

They are stunners....good luck whatever you decide.

Thanks for all the advice,
Unfortunately I live all the way down in Southampton, so Lincs isnt too close :(
I am also a rabbit daddy, not a mummy :)
The routine is currently ;
AM: Feed and clean cat, Feed and clean 2 rabbits, go to parents house and let out little bunny. Girfriend goes to stable and sorts horse. Then we go to work.
PM: Girfriend does her horse. I go and sort parents rabbit, (who usually has poo stuck to bum as she is getting old). I then come home and sort the 2 big buns, as well as the cat.
The added rabbits mean that we are up at 6am and finished about 7pm. I appreciate that many people work even longer hours, but it is making it very hard to keep up with everything else - even having a healthy dinner :D

For reference, I have only had the rabbits for a couple of weeks (since we found them dumped by the road), so it makes sense to either rehome them now, or never. The added burden of being a parent would make all this work extremely difficult.
Also, I also have strong views on dropping animals just because they are an inconvenience - hence why we picked them up, and also why I havent just given them away to a few people who showed interest but didnt look too promising. We wouldnt dump our animals (cat, horse, parents rabbit etc), and we also have to get help from family when we go away. We are going to Australia for 3 weeks in January.

Last edited:
another way you can look at it buns on AVERAGE live for 9 years its only a small part of your life

if you got new homes for them would you really miss them

im sounding really harsh arnt i :lol: im not honest:oops:,

it is quite hard to rehome any animal, if you found someone local and you were confident you can let them go to a person, and say they listened and took your advise, i normally try and put them off by scareing them into how hard bunnies are actually to care for if they still seem keen after that i normally take as a good sign

but then also a good test on how you would look after kids you get no rest with them :lol:

Believe me, the cat, other rabbit and horse are all enough practise for a child.
I have already turned down a couple of local people as I didnt think the rabbits would get a decent life with them.

Im sorry about your situation :( On a more positive note, these guys will easily get a home :love: They are absolutely stunning :love: I would love to rehome them myself... but that would mean id need a bigger shed, or a shed extenstion so i could bond them with our 2 current giants, and i dont think its possible :(

Have you spoke to Kayj on here ;) Wait until she sees this thread :lol: ;) xXx

I havent spoken to KayJ no, but I think I will put them up for rehoming and see how it goes. I dont really want to see them go though :?

I can imagine parting with them wouldn't be easy, they look like such lovely bunnies. I just happened to wander back to this thread in case your answer was I live in xx which turned out to be close to me ;)

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

I think only you know the right answer. ;) You've done a wonderful thing by taking them in but if you honestly feel that you don't have the time to devote to them, then I don't think you should feel bad about rehoming them. It's not like you went out and bought a pair of bunnies and then just decided they were too much hassle.

If you're not in a rush to rehome, then you have plenty of time to make sure the ideal home is found. :) Of course, in the meantime, you might decide you don't want to give them up after all. ;) :lol::lol:

The problem is that they are such lovely bunnies. They remind me of feeding baby goats, as they keep jumping on me (and each other) before I can get the food in. They are happy to be picked up, though they dont sit on my lap for too long. They are inquisitive and not scared of my cat. In fact, the cat gets scared of them when they come bounding up and eventually (after a bit of nose rubbing and sniffing) gives them a paw in the face, which just leaves the rabbits bemused.
I can see why people like keeping rabbits indoors now, they are very sweet.

Thanks for the good luck :)

The problem is that they are such lovely bunnies. They remind me of feeding baby goats, as they keep jumping on me (and each other) before I can get the food in. They are happy to be picked up, though they dont sit on my lap for too long. They are inquisitive and not scared of my cat. In fact, the cat gets scared of them when they come bounding up and eventually (after a bit of nose rubbing and sniffing) gives them a paw in the face, which just leaves the rabbits bemused.
I can see why people like keeping rabbits indoors now, they are very sweet.

Thanks for the good luck :)

They sound just like my giant bunny, ronnie :love: All giant bunnies have such big personalities... i dont think i could live without a giant bunny now :oops:

Dont let other threads on here put you off... everyone on here is genuine and will do all they can to help :) Good luck in finding your guys a lovely forever home xXx

the other thread is an entirly diffrent situation this is someone who got a bun and clearly dosent want it so made up a lame excuse for it to go to a new home and totaly contridicted herself

you stumbled upon ur buns and have done all you can and sounds as if u have alot on ur plate i no how much time horses take to look after i have 2 lol people would not tie u with the same brush as them

and im sure people will be happy to help u and advise u in what ever u decide to do

keep up the good work :D

Back