• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A wee bit worried about wee....Updated

capel

Warren Veteran
I'm hoping Fliss isn't becoming incontinent. She's the lovely little rew who came from Jill to become Tim's wife. She has always had very strong-smelling, bright red urine (Fliss, not Jill!! :lol:) which Jill told me about
and had her checked out before I took her on , and we came to the conclusion that it was just something peculiar to Fliss. Anyway, All three buns have been great about using the litter trays to wee in. They're not so careful when it comes to their poo, but at least the hutch floor was always nice and dry. However I've noticed over the past week that the hutch smells of urine in the morning and there's always a fair amount of wet megazorb (I started to cover the hutch floor with megazorb). When we brought them in tonight Gordon noticed that fliss seemed a bit damp around her back end. She doesn't seem inflamed or sore, but I'll have another look at her tomorrow morning and possibly whip her up to the vet for a check over. Any thoughts/suggestions folks?

Last edited:
Poor girl no real suggestions other than making sure she can move out of it ok hope the vets can help

That's not a problem as there's a huge layer of hay on top of the megazorb so the urine tends to run down and into the megazorb. They are in a big hutch with loads of room to move around in so at least she doesn't have to sit in a damp area..

I suppose it would help if I could take a urine sample up with me, but how do I do that in a trio?

Could you temporarily separate her to get one?

My vet was able to tell when my Floss had a UTI because of how inflamed her bladder felt and how little urine was in there, so if you can't get one its not the end of the world, plus also I believe sometimes an old urine sample can be unreliable? (I may have remembered that wrong though).

Could you temporarily separate her to get one?

My vet was able to tell when my Floss had a UTI because of how inflamed her bladder felt and how little urine was in there, so if you can't get one its not the end of the world, plus also I believe sometimes an old urine sample can be unreliable? (I may have remembered that wrong though).

You are quite correct that an old urine sample is pretty useless to do a c&s with Sky-O. It's not just getting it to the vet. the vet has to get it to the lab in time.
The urine also has to be "clean catch" & not contaminated with poops ideally.I've never had to get a specimen for infection. I have heard that it is usually done at the vets by expressing the bladder.

However an older specimen kept in a sterile bottle & sealed bag in the fridge can be examined under the microscope for pus cells/ red cells etc which are strong indicators of infection, & crystals seen. It is helpful just to look at a specimen. A good clinician can make a good guess at the infecting bacterium by smell. Specific gravity = urine concentration can be measured, & dip stix will give an immediate assessment of protein, blood, pH etc.

Last edited:
You are quite correct that an old urine sample is pretty useless to do a c&s with Sky-O. It's not just getting it to the vet. the vet has to get it to the lab in time.

I'm quite proud of myself :D

Please update as and when you know more Capel. I hope its something simple to solve.

:wave::D Well, it's a mystery really. I had a good look at her this morning in the daylight and there's absolutely no sign of either urine scald or even slight discolouration of her fur around her bits and legs which I'd expect to see if she was incontinent. Nor was she damp. I then had a good look at he boys and they are also clean and dry. This afternoon I spent an hour sitting in the sun on the swingseat just watching them in the run(ah, the joys of retirement!:lol:) and saw her stop to have a wee in random places. Could this be a form of territory marking..it seems to have started since the fosters arrived, and they are both neutered females.

:wave::D Well, it's a mystery really. I had a good look at her this morning in the daylight and there's absolutely no sign of either urine scald or even slight discolouration of her fur around her bits and legs which I'd expect to see if she was incontinent. Nor was she damp. I then had a good look at he boys and they are also clean and dry. This afternoon I spent an hour sitting in the sun on the swingseat just watching them in the run(ah, the joys of retirement!:lol:) and saw her stop to have a wee in random places. Could this be a form of territory marking..it seems to have started since the fosters arrived, and they are both neutered females.

To me it sounds like a touch of cystitis- intermitent leaking and 'spot weeing'.

She may have some bladder sludge which has built up and is now causing the bladder to be inflammed.

If it were just the 'spot weeing' I'd think it might be territorial behaviour, but the leaky episode makes me think not :?

Hi Hilda..glad she seems normal but like Jane I'd try to get a sample and get her checked..can you put a small cage and litter tray inside the bunnies run with Fliss in for a while?

Glad it doesnt sound quite as serious as you first thought and glad she isnt sore or wet. She has been ok when other buns have stayed hasnt she?

Glad she is OK Hilda.

I had this with Homer on a couple of occasions. Went out to find his back end wet, cleaned him up and looked for it again over the next 24 hours and obviously usual daily check. Nothing until about a month later and the same again. I mentioned it to Martin but he said to keep an eye on but was not over concerned as they were odd instances but to come back if it was ongoing for further investigation.

Not had anything now for a couple of months **touches wood**

Thanks for all the input..

I think I'll take her to the vet tomorrow afternoon and ask if she can express some urine from her and send it for analysis. If she's building up sludge I'd better get it seen to before it become a real problem.

Morning all! I haven't time to read posts this morning, so I hope everyone's fine and that any poorly buns are getting a bit better. I've booked Fliss in at the vet 9.50 so lots of anti bladder sludge vibes please. Tim's going with her as I think he's dropped a bit of weight over the last couple of weeks..just get his teeth checked out to be sure.

Back