• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Angoras should be kept in wire cages?

Oh joy. Basically telling people they can get a small cage (considering they said "as little as £40") and then keep a high maintence rabbit for a hobby :roll:
No idea about the wire mesh thing, although I wouldn't keep a rabbit on wire mesh

That's what I thought, keeping them on mesh just seems mean.

I'm annoyed with the Independent because they already published an article saying rabbits should be kept in 2ft x 2ft :)shock:) hutches and The Press Complaints commission made them change that. You think they'd have learnt....! Tthe whole tone of the article is too trivial and encourages people who know nothing about rabbits to get one:roll:

That's what I thought, keeping them on mesh just seems mean.

I'm annoyed with the Independent because they already published an article saying rabbits should be kept in 2ft x 2ft :)shock:) hutches and The Press Complaints commission made them change that. You think they'd have learnt....! Tthe whole tone of the article is too trivial and encourages people who know nothing about rabbits to get one:roll:

2ftx2ft :shock: Jesus. I don't think things like that should be allowed to publish their own make-believe "facts" on any animal at all. Never mind rabbits, people already think they're easy and cheap as it is :(

I hate the way it encourages keeping them for their wool as well:(..... in fact I think I might write a complaint in the comments section now!

The wire usually isn't a problem with long haired breeds. Some even prefer it.

I agree the cages are way too small though.

And why is there American information on a UK newspaper site? :?

I don't want this to turn into another one of "those" threads but I fail to see how any rabbit would prefer to live on wire :?

I don't want this to turn into another one of "those" threads but I fail to see how any rabbit would prefer to live on wire :?

I agree. The part of the article where he describes wire flooring as 'like a hammock' for rabbits to sleep on actually enrages me. Rabbits are meant to sleep on the ground, not up in hammocks! So irresponsible to publish such rubbish:(

I don't know why some rabbits prefer it, maybe because it's more airy and woodshavings wont get in the coat.

I don't know why some rabbits prefer it, maybe because it's more airy and woodshavings wont get in the coat.

Isn't that why the owners prefer it? Wouldn't it be uncomfy on buns feet?

I know they do it in Rabbit shows - part of the reason I'm not big on Rabbit shows

Isn't that why the owners prefer it? Wouldn't it be uncomfy on buns feet?

I know they do it in Rabbit shows - part of the reason I'm not big on Rabbit shows

No, someone on here once tested it by seperating hutches so they were half wire half shavings.

Long haired breeds have very thick padding on their feet, and even short haired buns cope on the wire.

In the USA most rabbits are kept always on wire. In the UK most rabbits are on woodshavings at home, but if they are longhaired then at shows they have wire 'stages' so woodshavings don't get tangled in the fur.

I can understand long haired breeds not being kept on shavings but instead of wire, how about some fleece bedding? Rimmi prefers cat beds and wont even go in a litter box if there is shavings in it....

I can understand long haired breeds not being kept on shavings but instead of wire, how about some fleece bedding? Rimmi prefers cat beds and wont even go in a litter box if there is shavings in it....

Wouldn't the fleece get filthy and have to be washed daily though?

Wouldn't the fleece get filthy and have to be washed daily though?

Not if you put a corner litter box in the corner where they peed... and even if it did, it would be worth it.

My mum had to get loads of towels when my bridge bun had abcsesses as she wasnt litter box trained and the cage had to be cleaned out 2 or 3 times a day, but we managed.

My bunnies are now bed solely on fleece and vetbed, and have litter trays with megazorb and hay, I don't have an issue with it getting dirty, and when it does I first shake it outside then wash it. Isn't a hassle and that's for five bunsters :).

thi bit about the diet annoyed me too,

' Foodwise, there are plenty of rabbit mixes on the market, so choose one that smells most palatable to you. '

so basically it could be the worst possible muesli mix with no nutricional value but as long as it smells nice................:roll:

Back