• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

anybody ever worry about going to vets?

ilovemybuns

Alpha Buck
does anybody ever worry about going to the vets?
i took midnight for his vhd yesterday and after reading a thread on here about ec spores in an old hutch not being able to get rid of them completly i started thinking.
i was wondering if a rabbit had been to the vets with ec,myxi or vhd what would be the likelyhood of your rabbit catching it?
dee xx

VHD concerns me the most, but rarely would a bun with VHD actually make it to the vets. Mine are great with teir hygeine though so would expect no problems., but things occasionally slip through.

I worry about taking mine to the vets. I worry about them getting stressed or maybe me being involved in a car accident and them getting hurt. I'm not too worried about them picking up any illnesses there. The hygene at the vets is good plus I think it's better to take that small risk and ensure they are vacinated.

I always worry about taking my bunnies to the vets but only because it stesses them out so much & I worry smudge will jump off the table (again!). I've never thought about them catching something from there but my vets r very clean & hygenic.

I am off to the vets at 5.30pm with three of mine for their myxi vac.They really don,t like it and get quite stressed.Also annoys the hell out of me when people have dogs and let them near the carriers:roll:

i get scared that the vets are gonna pick up an illness that one of them might have and i wouldnt have noticed it... if that happened, i would NEVER forgive myself!

I am off to the vets at 5.30pm with three of mine for their myxi vac.They really don,t like it and get quite stressed.Also annoys the hell out of me when people have dogs and let them near the carriers:roll:

I know! I like dogs but I really don't want them sniffing my two when they are already unhappy.

A friend of mine's rabbits probably did catch EC from a vets visit. However, this was about 8 years ago now, so things have probably changed.

I hate dog owners that think everyone, including my rabbit, must love their dogs and just let them either sniff me or my poor bunny.

I also worry about the cost of the flaming bill! :lol::lol::lol:

I worry about them getting stressed or maybe me being involved in a car accident and them getting hurt.

Yes, I've worried about being in a car accident as well - it's 20 miles mostly 60 limit road where idiots overtake :? I also worry about the car breaking down which it has done once... lucky I was at the vets when the handbrake cable broke - if I'd been on a steep hill it could have been really traumatic. Poor Tinks was in transit for well over 2 hours and the AA brought us home :(

Also annoys the hell out of me when people have dogs and let them near the carriers:roll:

I was really angry one day when a labrador sized dog (loose) bounded over and was sniffing with it's head level with Esme in the carrier. The owner wasn't in the least bit interested when I was pushing the dog away :evil: She's not used to dogs so it could have been really scary for her.

This is one of the reasons (among others) why we have moved to an exotics vet. Our old vet used to keep you waiting all the time, they never ever run on time, and they catered to all sorts of animals, especially dogs. I never put the carrier on the floor, always in my hands or on my lap.

This is one of the reasons (among others) why we have moved to an exotics vet. Our old vet used to keep you waiting all the time, they never ever run on time, and they catered to all sorts of animals, especially dogs. I never put the carrier on the floor, always in my hands or on my lap.

Must say, I go in first,check for dogs.If no dogs,I mention Im bringing in bunnies and I get put in a room all by myself with the bunnies!!!
(off to vets tomorrow at 2 for VHD.

I dont really worry about taking my two boys to the vets. He is very good with them and have always taken them to him. They are very chilled and well behaved anyway and the hyiene in the vets is amazing. I think I am very lucky to find such a good vet.

Never, I've been going to the same vet for over 10 years, I know and trust all of them - vets, nurses, practice manager etc. The bunnies don't seem to mind going at all - infact when our vet came to our house a few weeks ago Lavender went hopping over to him for fuss - she never goes near people who visit! I also know I'm very lucky to have found my vets.

Last edited:
Lola absolutely hates the vet, I feel so so bad after taking her. She climbs up me (vertical) from the vet table every time . :cry:

'Mummeh, you evul bringing me here!:cry:'

Lenny, Max and Jemimah don't seem to mine. Brian doesn't either but come this Friday he might have changed his tune ;).

I always have the carrier on a seat or lap, to avoid the dog situations.

I worry alot.

Back