• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am I being counterproductive?

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
The thread about oats got me thinking...

I am a bit lax when it comes to what Grimlock eats in terms of treats. The reason for this is because his abscesses in his jaws are really bad, to the point where the vets are actually shocked he's still eating.

Grim is really obsessed with bread, biscuits, oats anything like that and I sort of encourage it because I want him to eat. I can give him his medicine on bread and he actually thinks it a treat. The other day I found him with his head in an empty packed of mini chocolate hobnobs... there was one left and he was gumming it... and he also licks up the crumbs from mini cheddars...

Obviously I don't let him have those sorts of things but I do give him oats and quite a lot of bread... The way I see it, I don't know how long he's got left and I want him to enjoy eating. He's not overweight, he still eats his pellets and the odd bits of veg I can persuade him to. But am I being counterproductive? Can I give him too much bread?

Yes, bread can be damaging because it's so high in carbs. However, I am of the camp where, like you, when I know a bunny has not too much longer left, or who is seriously ill, I'm just glad they are eating, and in some cases want them to have as much pleasure as possible (this is the case for terminal bunnies) which has led to some AWFUL diets, but happy bunnies.

I think it's key to find a balance between treating, and over treating, if that makes sense.

What do his poos look like? They are a good indication of how ok or un-ok the diet is for him.

Yup, his poos are fine... and everywhere... (I tried to swap his litter tray to another part of the house and he wasn't impressed :lol:). He's absolutely fine in himself. I make a point of getting him excited about food, and it's actually helped me get him to eat some veg. Oh, and there was the time I melted the yogurt treats and dipped celery in them. He loved those, but won't eat celery on it's own... so fussy. :love:

Back