• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Blood and mucus in poo

Buuny_Friend

Mama Doe
Hi...I'm putting this in Rabbit Chat as I need quick answers if possible.

The symtoms:

- Being treated for bloat (pain meds, fluids, metaclop and baytril)
- Is now passing some poos but also mucus and blood
- Still lethargic and not really eating

Can anyone give me any advice on what to do next treatment wise etc.

P.S. It is not my rabbit and is seeing the vet today.

I'm wondering about a fecal float test (but that may be way off base). That sounds like a VERY poorly and irritated gut. Also, do you know the cause of the bloat? If not, that may also be something to think about because the metaclop may be adding to the problem, and the treatment may be different depending on what is causing it.

I would suggest taking a sample of what has been produced with you to the vets so they can see.

Also, maybe vets ASAP depending on the behaviour of the bun (which I know you would do anyway).

I'm wondering about a fecal float test (but that may be way off base). That sounds like a VERY poorly and irritated gut. Also, do you know the cause of the bloat? If not, that may also be something to think about because the metaclop may be adding to the problem, and the treatment may be different depending on what is causing it.

I would suggest taking a sample of what has been produced with you to the vets so they can see.

Also, maybe vets ASAP depending on the behaviour of the bun (which I know you would do anyway).

Pretty sure it due to too much peletted food. The bunny belongs to a pet shop and they have lost 4 bunnies to the same thing now. So it could be a combination of diet change, stress and poor husbandry :cry:

I don't think too much pelleted food would cause these symptoms...certainly not in multiple rabbits anyway. Sounds like something potentially contagious.

I also think that too much pelleted food would not cause this. I would be wondering things like coccidia and clostridium (make sure you are keeping this bun WELL quarantined from your own).

The pet shop needs to not have any more rabbits in and be clear from buns for at least a couple of weeks. In the meantime they need to completely disinfect the premises.

Unfortunately, it doesn't sound good for the poorly bun :(
I've come across this before, sorry to say.

Back