• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cecotropes

Wizzy Lizzy

Warren Scout
I didn't want to hijack the other recent thread about cecotropes so though I would start my own off!

I have heard all about them and know that rabbits are supposed to eat them daily - how do you tell the difference between droppings and cecotropes? Is it easy to tell? I haven't got a clue what they look like so don't know whether Lorenzo is eating them like a good boy!

:wave: The droppings that they don't eat are (with a good diet) round and dark golden brown colour. If you pick these up there should be no residue left on your hands.

The ones they should eat (Cecotropes) are soft but still formed into tiny round balls all stuck together. If you pick these up they are sticky and get your fingers dirty:mrgreen: They are also a longer shape sort of like a short sausage.

That's with mine anyway, someone else's maybe different:)

Hello - my other half always calls the caecotrophs 'hand grenades' !! Which I actually think is a pretty good description of them :D Or maybe a very small bunch of grapes?!

They are shiny, soft and smelly - in other words v different to the normal poos ..... hope this helps!!

Hiya Yes as others have said normal healthy poops should be a nice ball like poop, not gooey or too smelly, they should not stick to your fingers or leave any trace of poop, they should also not crumble when picked up.
So normal poops you should see a nice brown uniform poop, like a coco puff :D

However caecotrophs, you should not really see any of them, buns usually gobble them up straight from their bottoms, so when you see your bun 'seemingly washing' his erm.. area and when finishes looks like he is munching on something it is probably a delishous smelly ceacotroph! :lol:

If you do see them, Jimbys look like a small bunch of grapes all pushed together in to one tiny tight package, they are dark brown and shiny as they are covered in a mucus, they do smell pretty stinky so try not to get too close, I once went to give Jimby a kiss without realising he had just gobbled one up and eww did I get a smelly suprise... a mistake I do not plan to make again ewww :shock:

Back