• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is coccidia / cocciosis normal in rabbits?

Hi..i posted a couple of days ago- i had 3 baby rabbits aged 8-9 weeks living together from the same breeder, had them about 2 weeks. last tues one died without me noticing any symptoms, then the other 2 started showing unwell signs- going off food, bloating and then not passing dropping, they went to the vet and were kept in & treated. One died the next day, the other is now still alive, atthe vet but not improving. We got tests done on the dead rabbit, some came back today & i spoke with the vet and he said the results showed the rabbit has coccidia BUT he said he would expect that because most rabbits do and that isnt a problem. I was worried about all my other rabbits, i had 12 in total and lots quite young and i took 3 in who i felt may be bloating and not so active but he examined them and said they all seemed well today and sent us home again. i asked about treating the coccidia and he said it was not necessary. he said he would treat the rabbit who is in the vets for it, as perhaps the coccidia is getting in the way of his recovery but he feels the cause is not coccidia and this is nothing to wrroy about. Does that sound right? I have spoken to 3 seperate vets about this who all said similar...none of them have runny droppings i have read that coccidia kills rabbits so is this not correct? i am so confused, but the vet just said to treat them would be ridiculously expensive and it wasn't necessary and most rabbits have it & its really common- pelase help me! I don't want all my bunnies to die i cannot afford to have them all admitted to the vets and treated if they get the symprtoms my others got- i have already spent almost £200 on this! I am almost at my limit. More test results will be due on friday but i dont want them to die in the meantime and it seems the vet is not concerned with coccidia, can anybody clarify? thanks

It is very common in rabbits but I do a preventative course with mine ever 6 months and when babies are 4 weeks old to be on the safe side as I have read this is the best way when breeding rabbits. I know not all breeders do this though and some use medicated pellets which I am told isn't good for them.

Personally I think your buns should be treated for it, it's very simple to treat and in my opinion if it's shown up on tests they do need treating and yes it can kill.

This is the product I use http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Easicox-...or-pigeons-rabbits-250ml/productinfo/EASICOX/ it is very straight forward. I hope your buns make full recoverys. The vet was he rabbit savvy?

I would take them to a different vet who is willing to treat them for coccidia. It can cause the types of symptoms you describe and may often be fatal to young rabbits such as yours xx

I agree with lilbun, you need to find a vet who will treat them for it.

One of my bunnies fell ill with hepatic coccidiosis and she was very easily treated with a course of 'coxiplus' pidgeon medicene that goes in the water. All my other bunnies were treated at the same time and she was fully recovered in a couple of weeks.

You will need to treat all of your buns for it.

Cerys :)

Back