• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

porridge oats

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
Can buns eat them dry? They were suggested for Snowdrop when she is poorly to help keep weight on her but she won't eat them if they are made into a porridge with warm water. Neither will Strawberry. They both love them dry! Are they ok to eat them like this?

I wouldn't advise them dry - they absorb a lot of water from their surroundings as you can no doubt see, so if the bun eats them dry, they will absorb water from their guts. Buns guts need to be well hydrated to work properly, so I think you risk a gut slowdown/developing stasis if they eat too many dry oats. I know some people have fed them dry with no problems but personally I would not.

Would it work if you soaked them in a little water with a drop of apple juice added, or a little water and mashed banana. Santa used to gobble the whole lot up if I added a bit of nana, and that's a great weight-gainer too :)

I mix in abit of water and wack it in the microwave for just over a minute. Then i mix a little cold water and let it cool.... they like it a little warm and for an extra treat them have abit of mashed banana in it :D Dreamer sticks his whole nose in it and sometimes both front feet.... means he gets some to lick off after :lol:

I wouldn't advise them dry - they absorb a lot of water from their surroundings as you can no doubt see, so if the bun eats them dry, they will absorb water from their guts. Buns guts need to be well hydrated to work properly, so I think you risk a gut slowdown/developing stasis if they eat too many dry oats. I know some people have fed them dry with no problems but personally I would not.

Would it work if you soaked them in a little water with a drop of apple juice added, or a little water and mashed banana. Santa used to gobble the whole lot up if I added a bit of nana, and that's a great weight-gainer too :)

Thanks. Snowdrop isn't allowed any fruit because of the sugar as she has mini bloat episodes and diohorrea. I will try her again with them soaked next time she needs them and see if I can convince her. She will eat recovery feed from a bowl, its just so expensive!

Thanks. Snowdrop isn't allowed any fruit because of the sugar as she has mini bloat episodes and diohorrea. I will try her again with them soaked next time she needs them and see if I can convince her. She will eat recovery feed from a bowl, its just so expensive!

Can you mix a bit of Porridge in with the CC ?

I have found (and experimented with) the quick and instant oats are NOT ok, but the rolled ones (like quaker oats) don't swell much, if at all. I give these to my buns in small amounts dry and have never had a problem with them at all.

Does she like echinacea? Santa will take just about any meds from a syringe if I put a couple of drops of echinacea in it. Might be worth a try to see if they take echicacea laced porridge.

Does she like echinacea? Santa will take just about any meds from a syringe if I put a couple of drops of echinacea in it. Might be worth a try to see if they take echicacea laced porridge.

I read that as echidna :lol: I now feel very stupid.

I have never tried them with his. Will get some and give it a go, thanks.

If she's still seeing the vet, I'd check with your vet first as echinacea is a herbal "medicine" so it's best to check that it won't interact with anything else your vet wants to do. My vet is happy for me to use it and doesn't feel it will have any adverse effects on Santa's regime, but it's best to check :)

I mix their pellets in, Cherry (And Charlie) are on oats at the minute to try and build her up again. (sometimes I add grated carrot, apple mushed banana etc in, or a cople of rasins each, just to add variety

I feed Grim rolled oats (Quaker) dry, but only a handful at a time. But he also likes them mixed with water. You can just leave them to soak for a few minutes with only a little bit of water so they're a bit lumpy.

sometimes ive even mixed mowgli's burgess feed in with it

sometimes ive even mixed mowgli's burgess feed in with it

Yeh I will try mixing some mashed up pellets with it too. She is doing well at the minute and have managed to get some weight on her. I have everything crossed it continues.

Back