• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sad fate of Stockholm's wild rabbits

AnyBunny

Warren Scout
"Stockholm's rabbits burned to keep Sweden heated

The bodies of thousands of wild rabbits culled each year from Stockholm's parks are being used to fuel a heating plant in central Sweden.

Animal rights activists have claimed that domestic pets are also being rounded up and incinerated.

The rabbits going up in smoke are the inhabitants of Stockholm's parks who are culled to protect the shrubs and trees on which they gorge. But many of them are tame domestic pets turned loose by owners who no longer want them."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...lms-rabbits-burned-to-keep-Sweden-heated.html

I am sure British hunters and farmers kill more wild bunnies than that every year. Unfortunately they are seen as vermin in most countries. :(

I think the park has become a dumping ground for domestic rabbits, probably because no rescue centres.

I think the park has become a dumping ground for domestic rabbits, probably because no rescue centres.

No, I don't think there are many rescue centres in Sweden. There are not that many people, and like in Germany, rabbits have only recently become popular as pets. There are much fewer dogs there, too.

Someone has posted a picture of a couple of survivors on another site and they are domestic.

Sad to save some trees and flowers.

Back