• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Letter to landlord regarding buns -another quick Q??

kaths101

Warren Veteran
edited... Would the letter go straight to the landlord or does it have to go through the estate agents???

Hi,
Please could you check this letter to my landlords (composed with help from Wigs - thanks Wigs very helpful :love:) asking if I can keep my house bunnies in my rented house? After much debate I have decided to own up just to make things easier!!

They already live with me and have always have though I didnt have them when I moved in!! If there anything I have missed?? Anything I shouldnt say?
In the end if they decide I cant keep them in the house i will have to move :cry: because there is no way I would get rid of them!

Here goes - NEW REVISED VERSION - Thanks for your help GiantbunnyMummy!!! .....

Dear ***********,

I am writing to ask your permission if I can have my two rabbits to live with me at ** **** ***, they have been staying with my parents temporarily while I moved.

With your permission they would live in a self-contained cage inside the house. The cage has appropriate flooring underneath and around the cage to protect the floors, walls and skirting boards. They are very clean and are both fully litter trained, and I can reassure you they make very suitable house pets. They have been indoor rabbits from a very young age so I am unable to house them outside, as switching from a warm to a cold environment would be detrimental to their health and wellbeing.

I assure you that the rabbits would not be let out into the house unsupervised and in the unlikely event that my rabbits were to damage anything within the property I would accept full responsibility for repairs or replacements at entirely my own expense.

I hope all is well with you and look forward to hearing your thoughts on this matter.

All the best,

Katherine

Last edited:
Hi there

We used to have 3 monthly inspections so had to ask permission for a bunny, we didn't mention that she would be indoors though, although we had to admit this when she came to greet them at the door...doh.

Very good letter, I would just change the last bit to request a pet agreement contract, which you will then agree to sign and pay the set amount if there is one.

We had to pay £50 to keep our bunny in rented house (half the price of a cat or dog). We agreed to pay any costs due to damage caused by bunny and any flea treatment for carpets after we moved if necessary.

Personally I would shorten it, I suggest something like:

Dear ***********,

I am writing to ask your permission to have my two rabbits Sooty and Oreo to live with me at ** **** ***. They have been staying with my parents temporarily while I moved.

They have been indoor rabbits from a very young age so I am unable to house them outside, as switching from a warm to a cold environment would be detrimental to their health and wellbeing.

With your permission they would live in a self-contained cage inside the house with me. They are very clean and are both fully litter trained, and I can reassure you that rabbits are not at all smelly and make very suitable house pets.

I appreciate that you may have some concerns about my rabbits living inside. However, I assure you that the rabbits would not be let out into the house unsupervised and in the unlikely event that my rabbits were to damage anything within the property I would accept full responsibility for repairs or replacements at entirely my own expense.

I hope all is well with you and look forward to hearing your thoughts on this matter.

All the best,

Katherine

Its a good letter, but I think the first paragraph which says they have always been house rabbits....it should go in the same paragraph as "with your permission" as until hes read the reasons why they should be house bunnies,and the situ in which you would keep them, i think he wont read anymore.Put it after the end of "House a rabbit..." Then it will say they are litter trained to go onto about the smell, if you get my drift.
Dont let your landlord think you are panicking...he will have you over a barrel then.
"with your permission etc etc to house a rabbit.
Then put they have always been.....
then put "as far as the smell....""

Afterall,youre just THINKING of asking him if he will let you have your bunnies inside...
Hope this is helpful....
Good luck.xx

sounds good to me. When i was in rented accomodation i had a cat i had to move in with me. The landlord apparently didnlt like cats but becasue he thought he would miss a sale as the house had been up for rent for ages he agreed. I had to pay £100 bond and also agree to repair any damages and steam clean the carpets when i left. If you agree to clean carpets etc i can't see the problem :)

We never got house inspections though when i was renting...i thought this was odd.

Dear ***********,

I am writing to ask your permission to have my two rabbits Sooty and Oreo to live with me at ** **** ***. They have been staying with my parents temporarily while I moved.

They have been indoor rabbits from a very young age so I am unable to house them outside, as switching from a warm to a cold environment would be detrimental to their health and wellbeing.

With your permission they would live in a self-contained cage inside the house with me. They are very clean and are both fully litter trained, and I can reassure you that rabbits are not at all smelly and make very suitable house pets.

I appreciate that you may have some concerns about my rabbits living inside. However, I assure you that the rabbits would not be let out into the house unsupervised and in the unlikely event that my rabbits were to damage anything within the property I would accept full responsibility for repairs or replacements at entirely my own expense.

All the best,

Katherine

This reads much better to me :)

If you decide to send the longer version you wrote originally, be aware of spelling and grammar errors, there are quite a number in there and you want it to come across as good and clear as possible :)

This version is perfect.

I think the original version actually makes the reader think about how much the buns might smell and might damage the carpet/skirting boards etc.

Keep it short and if they have any concerns or say no - Then you can go into further detail ;)

Good luck :)

Dear ***********,

All the best,

Katherine

This version is perfect.

I think the original version actually makes the reader think about how much the buns might smell and might damage the carpet/skirting boards etc.

Keep it short and if they have any concerns or say no - Then you can go into further detail ;)

Good luck :)

I agree also

I like the revised version too. Would it be possible to invite him to have a look around your parents house to assess their cage first along with any other damage they have caused (hopefully none). What does everyone else think?

I like the revised version too. Would it be possible to invite him to have a look around your parents house to assess their cage first along with any other damage they have caused (hopefully none). What does everyone else think?

The bit about the parents house is a white lie, the bunnies are already in the rented house.

I guess to a degree it depends on how reasonable your landlord is. If he is a reasonably agreeable man he should be satisfied by your letter as it is very polite, informative, and you agree to take responsibility for any damage.

If he is the kind of landlord that easily gets wound up about things, then I would consider taking them to your parents just for inspection purposes so that he cant take any action against you for having them there (what he doesnt know wont hurt him kind of thing).

In all likeliness though he is probably too busy to come to your parents house and may just want to call round to see the cage set up.

Hopefully he will be reasonable about it. He just doesnt want to be out of pocket or end up in a situation where he has to do lots of repairs or cleaning for the next person he may need to rent to.

PS I think the shortened letter is better but keep all the other points handy in case he raises them.

My bunnies are in my rented house without the landlord knowing :oops:

They know we have rabbits but they think they live outside. If they ever find out then I would just say due to Snowdrop illness we have had to move them in. We have 6 monthly inspections but I just put their dog crate away and put them out in their run or an hour!

The shorter version reads better but personally I would keep the bits about the protective flooring and walls and litter training as that is what most landlords would worry about.

thankyou for your replies :love:- I think I will go with the shorter version to start with and then if they persue send a more indepth one!

They seem pretty calm and I 'think' will be ok with it - the house was empty for a year before I moved in! so dont think they will want to evict me..

Fingers crossed everyone - honesty is the best policy isnt it?? :?

Back