• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cat deterrants affect bunnies?

Ceretrea

Warren Scout
We are installing a noise based cat deterrant in our back garden. we have one in the front and even though the battery ran out, the cats have learned from it and don't come onto the gravel to poo anymore :) They go round the back instead :?

I wondered if the noise would affect any bun we got? Also, is there a smiliar thing that works on foxes aswell? I have never seen any signs of foxes but we are not exactly inner city here so its always possible..trying to think ahead:)

Hi! (yes it's me lol!) I looked into this myself and everything points to them being affected by it so I would say 'yes'. I still haven't got round to buying one but if I do get one I will be switching it off any time the guinea pigs go into the garden as the high pitched noise will affect them.

A lot of the cat repellers are said to be effective for dogs and foxes for the same reason though you can buy 'stronger ones' such as these here:

Fox repellents

.... there is a similar version to repel rabbits....

rabbit repellents so I would say it would definitely affect rabbits.

ETA: In case that post didn't make a lot of sense I guess I was thinking as I typed, lol! :p

Heya Hanlou!

Thats a shame, we have a lady next door with three cats who all like to come poo in my back garden :( Maybe though..I can install it now and turn it off when the bunnies come. The cats have already been trained to stay of the bit at the front so its possible. And then back to the drawing board for something else.

Of course, I'm thinking waaaay ahead here (you know me) so bunnies are not exactly imminent :lol:

My neighbour has one of these and it's about 15ft from my buns but on the other side of a wall. So I'm sure they can hear it. It goes off all the time but they don't seem bothered by it with no noticable reaction when it goes off. I can still just about hear it when it goes off and I'm standing in my garden.

ps the best solution to a cat problem is a water pistol / sprayer

My neighbour has one of these and it's about 15ft from my buns but on the other side of a wall. So I'm sure they can hear it. It goes off all the time but they don't seem bothered by it with no noticable reaction when it goes off. I can still just about hear it when it goes off and I'm standing in my garden.

ps the best solution to a cat problem is a water pistol / sprayer

Tried that but when one ran straight in with water on him, his owner came out and gave me lip. So I'm going for the subtle approach :oops:

Heya Hanlou!

Thats a shame, we have a lady next door with three cats who all like to come poo in my back garden :( Maybe though..I can install it now and turn it off when the bunnies come. The cats have already been trained to stay of the bit at the front so its possible. And then back to the drawing board for something else.

Of course, I'm thinking waaaay ahead here (you know me) so bunnies are not exactly imminent :lol:

We have the same problem!! It really makes me mad......:?

I would say if you got one now then yes; they might learn to stay away. :)

I *will* get one eventually. I usually end up buying something for the animals instead! :lol:

Back