• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

swapping cages - good idea or bad bunmum??

kaths101

Warren Veteran
Hi I have my 2 buns in cages next to each other - (NIC cubes) so only a thin sheet between them which they can easily get their noses in to lick or nip :roll: each other.. They settled in really well and choose to stay in even when I open the door to let them free range. They sleep next to each other either side of the wire.

I want to bond them when Oreo is neutered but i read it was a good idea to swap cages each day to get them used to each others smells..

I tried this last night and They were not pleased!! - Sooty wrecked Oreos part and wouldnt settle and Oreo pooped all over Sootys part..

Am i being a mean mummy by doing this as they obviously werent happy in each others compartment..

I thought maybe if i put a door between the 2 compartments when 1 is free outsidethe other can have the run of the 2 cages inside but still has their own part if thats what they want - does this sound a better idea?? help

My Smudge poops everywhere when he's free-ranging as he free-ranges in the same rooms as the other three. It's a way of marking territory and will probably stop once he is neutered. When I bonded Nutmeg to the lops I didn't cage swap until she was done as it's their own personal space and they get fussy when I intrude let alone another rabbit! :lol:

Back