• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Separation anxiety

stephers162

Young Bun
Can rabbits suffer from this?
Pi was dumped when he was a couple of months old and spent another couple of months in the back of a P@H warehouse waiting to be adopted. When I brought him home I noticed he enjoys chewing my carpet but I spend so much of my day with him that I stop him when he does and put things over the part he's chewing.
I went home this weekend and left him in the care of my v rabbit savvy housemate and my other rubbish-with-animals housemates. My bun savvy housmate rang me the next day to see that in my absence Pi had ripped up a load of carpet and reaked havoc in my room. Was this boredom or can rabbits suffer from separation anxiety? I know it's probably boredom but he's had such a rubbish start in life I don't want to stress him out by leaving him again. Any advice?
x

Yes, they can suffer separation anxiety (I've seen it in two of mine), but I've not seen it manifested that way, but that doesn't mean that its not manifested that way ever. I don't see why it couldn't be, but equally it could be boredom.

If you have to leave him again try to make his environment as safe and as normal as possible, and also stimulate it in other ways (like keep the basis stable, but add new toys, etc). I also found that leaving lots of things around that smell of me loads (although in your bedroom he's probably in the safest place), that I have worn recently, really helped. At one point I had a bunny who would seek out and find my phone and sit with it, if she couldn't sit with me, so objects and smell are important.

Another idea would be to get your bun a friend or two so that he has a friend and a 'back up'. This is what I did for Roger who was a panicky bun (but didn't suffer from separation anxiety from me, he was just anxious).

Cheers Sky,
I'm looking into getting him some more non-destructible toys for the weekends I have to be away (although he has plenty at the moment he kills them all in a few days :)) and I've made him a snuggly house under my bed where he hides so hopefully he'll feel a bit more safe.
Thanks for the advice! x

CARDBOARD BOXES!

You can try to train him not to get separation anxiety (I know a method for dogs)... But I assume you leave him in your room alone when you make food, wash, or go out etc. Is he that destructive at those times? If he's not it could be boredom or a break in routine.

My bun gets severe separation anxiety, again not manifested that way.
He gradually got used to me being home every night. I can be out all day & evening & he's as good as gold. But I have to be home by about 3.00 am or he stops eating, & is heading for stasis by 9.00 am.
My bun will throw a temper tantrum & be destructive, mainly after a vet visit. Fortunately he confines destructive behaviour to the cushions in his carrier.

It could be that the destructive behaviour is either boredom overnight, or telling you, "I'm cross and really hate what you're doing". It's very annoying, & therefore effective in drawing your attention to his view point.
Any chance your flat mate would move into your/his room? or perhaps it's not that sort of relationship. It still may not stop his destructive behaviour because it's not the same as you!

Back