• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed - Jose's eating her litter

sacol4940

Warren Veteran
We started off putting a layer of newspaper followed a layer of wood shavings and hay on top in her litter tray (it's a washing up bowl) and that worked fine - but we changed the wood shavings to Megazorb as everyone kept saying that the wood shavings were bad for buns. Jose then started to eat the megazorb - there was a thick layer of hay on top but she dug down to the megazorb :roll: So at the moments we're just using newspaper with hay - and now she's started digging down in the hay and eating the newspaper!

What am i supposed to use now??? I'm tempted to go back to using wood shavings as we never had any problems with those

You could try getting a mesh layer to go over the litter (some use plastic grids), and then putting a mountain of hay on that. That will mean the urine runs through and gets absorbed by the litter, but the poos will stay on the top, and the hay will mean she is on a soft flooring.

It might be a case of experiementing and seeing what works for her, but there will hopefully be a way to use the litter and have her not eat it.

Are you sure she's eating it? Could she be moving it around and tearing it up? Mischa seems to have a thing against litter trays in general and megazorb. I've given up with Megazorb apart from for Smudge and gone back to P@H cat litter, the wood pellet stuff, with loads and loads of hay on top, pressed down (a la, me standing on a tray on top of the hay) and then more hay added on top.

Are you sure she's eating it? Could she be moving it around and tearing it up? Mischa seems to have a thing against litter trays in general and megazorb. I've given up with Megazorb apart from for Smudge and gone back to P@H cat litter, the wood pellet stuff, with loads and loads of hay on top, pressed down (a la, me standing on a tray on top of the hay) and then more hay added on top.

yeah she's definately eating it, she's not a chewer or a tearer - she's an eater! lol

You could try getting a mesh layer to go over the litter (some use plastic grids), and then putting a mountain of hay on that. That will mean the urine runs through and gets absorbed by the litter, but the poos will stay on the top, and the hay will mean she is on a soft flooring.

It might be a case of experiementing and seeing what works for her, but there will hopefully be a way to use the litter and have her not eat it.

oooh that sounds like a good idea! where do i get the mesh layer from tho?

I have no idea, but metal mesh you can buy from somewhere like B&Q (you would want the smallest holes), and I would imagine plastic, rubber, etc could be found maybe in hardware stores? I don't really know. It might take a bit of searching to find something that works.

What about the wood pellet litter from pets at home? Thats what i use.

She'd probably eat that too knowing her, she'd think it was pellets or something :roll:

I'm going to end up with opened bags of all sorts of things cos she keeps eating them! :lol: (I've got a half full bag of Megazorb taking up room in Jose's room lol)

Back