• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unformed caecotrophs but big golden poops

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
My newest bunny (the former partner of the REW lop from Kirkby who unfortunately passed away :( ) doesn't seem to be eating his caecotrophs. Also, most of the caecotrophs I see on the floor of the hutch are an unformed gooey mess like a cow pat.

He's a good hay eater so his normal poops are lovely and golden.

I've been feeding him a few SS pellets (about a dozen) and a little bit of veg (cabbage, carrot, celery) once a day, not nearly as much as I feed my other rabbits...but the problem still hasn't gone away.

His bum is never messy, so it definitely isn't a mobility issue preventing him from eating his caecotrophs.

Any ides about what the problem might be? And ways I can sort it?

A lot of Chesters are like that, his normal poos are okay, and he won't touch hay:( I've found certain veggies, such as carrot and basil trigger him, he's okay with spring greens and kale and I have to introduce any new ones very gradually, because he's already underweight. I've also started giving him probiotic granuals with his food which has seemed to help.
If you find out what it is let me know please:D

Thanks Sue :wave:

I'm going to put him on a hay only diet and gradually re-introduce foods like you've done with Chester. My bun (Turbo) is definitely not underweight...in fact he could do with losing a few hundred grams so it won't do him any harm to just eat hay for a while!

Will let you know if I find out why it's happening

Back