• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit shows Info/Stories and Experiences please!!!!

Sara0099

Young Bun
Hey all, Does anyone have any info on rabbit shows? Mabe you have photographs or good/bad experiences to share! I'm really interested to learn more about them....as my 2 are such cuties I'd quite like to enter them. But need to know more first before I make my final decission!!

• What to expect on the day?
  • I read somewhere that rabbits need to get their ears tattooed..is that true?
  • How are the rabbits kept on the day...ie in a big cage/individual cages?
  • What are the rabbits judged on?
  • If I take my 2, will they be split up or will they stay together?
  • Can I stay with them while the judge is with them?
  • Are all rabbits judged together? as I have the two buns I'd like to be with both of them at judging time! (If possible)

Last edited:
What breeds are your rabbits?
If you go search your rabbits breed and then put uk club it should link you to a website were you can find out more as each rabbit breed is judged on different things depends on coat type and markings :)
Most have regional clubs...my local one is greater london dutch and give them an email. They are really helpful.
Not all rabbits have to have tattoos or even be rung, which means you won't be able to enter certain classes.
is your rabbit rung?

Each rabbit has a seperate pen. They are judged inc atagories and you have stewards. So 99% on the time you wont be haveing your own rabbit to hold.
I find this easy are sometimes I dont like hearing what a certain judge has to say.
Most judges are really helpful, I ask about certain things like why did they score. What would they look for or what did they find was good and wasn't so good.

If you let me know what breed and post some picture I will be able to help more but its abit hard unless I know the breed :)
You will deffinatley be able to show in pet classes which is mainly health and cleanness of the rabbit and also novice classes :)

What does "rung" mean? I've included a few photos for you to see..

Tallulah-Belle
SDC13668.jpg

Darcey-May
SDC13657.jpg

Darcey & Tallulah
DT.jpg

Personally I hate Rabbit Shows and I think they are a totally un-necessary stress for any Rabbit.

But others strongly support the idea. Your Rabbits look to be of mixed breed so would be eligable for Pet Shows rather than a BRC acredited show

http://www.thebrc.org/

Community Events sometimes run a Pet Show so you could make enquiries locally

Personally I hate Rabbit Shows and I think they are a totally un-necessary stress for any Rabbit.

But others strongly support the idea. Your Rabbits look to be of mixed breed so would be eligable for Pet Shows rather than a BRC acredited show

http://www.thebrc.org/

Community Events sometimes run a Pet Show so you could make enquiries locally

After having read the other thread on here, and watched that CBBC Rabbit Show programme I have now come to the conclusion I am not in full support of these type of shows. That programme did not make for comfortable viewing. Btw, whats the difference between Pet Shows and a BRC acredited show?

After having read the other thread on here, and watched that CBBC Rabbit Show programme I have now come to the conclusion I am not in full support of these type of shows. That programme did not make for comfortable viewing. Btw, whats the difference between Pet Shows and a BRC acredited show?

The BRC Shows are for the 'Pedigree' Rabbits-ie those of a specific Breed. The Rabbits must be entire (not neutered/spayed) and BRC rung. The ring is put on the hind leg of the Rabbit by the Breeder and it has a unique number which identifies said Breeder. I *think* in some cases it has the Rabbit's year of birth too.

What to expect on the day? You will come to a hall/tent full of rabbit pens and exhibitors. You go to the show secretary and they tell you which pen your rabbits are in. You can give them quick groom then you have to put them in their pens and you can't take them home untill best in show has been judged.
I read somewhere that rabbits need to get their ears tattooed..is that true? You must have been reading an American site. In the UK, pedigree show rabbits are rung with a metal ring round their back legs. In America and some other countries they are tattooed.
How are the rabbits kept on the day...ie in a big cage/individual cages? They are in metal show pens. They aren't big, but the rabbit will only be in this for a few hours.
What are the rabbits judged on? Yours are not pedigree so they could only be entered in the pet section. They don't have to be rung for this. In the pet section the rabbits are judged on health, cleanliness, friendliness and condition.
If I take my 2, will they be split up or will they stay together? They will have to be split up so the judge knows which rabbit is in which pen.
Can I stay with them while the judge is with them? If you steward, yes.
Are all rabbits judged together? as I have the two buns I'd like to be with both of them at judging time! (If possible) If they are in the same section (class) then yes. If one does better than the other, then the one that didn't do as well will be sent back and the others will be put in prize order.

Some clubs do hold pet sections at shows, but some don't. The pet section dosen't have much to do with the BRC, except the rabbit than wins 1st will get a certificate. I think if you get 4, you can get a BRC pet dimloma.

I once asked the BRC a question on the pet section, and they insisted that the pet section was only for purebreds that weren't rung, and they were judged against their breed standard. I haven't seen a single show do this, they let any type of rabbit enter, cross breed or not. So I would say no, the BRC really aren't much to do with the pet section at all.

Last edited:
My vet suggested entering my first 2 gorgeous rescue rabbits (RIP Eddie and Elsa) in the local agricultural show, which has a pets show section. I said no way as I wouldn't want to put my rabbits through it, as much as I'd have loved to have shown them off:) I think you need to ask yourself who you'd be doing it for? Them... or you.:)

My vet suggested entering my first 2 gorgeous rescue rabbits (RIP Eddie and Elsa) in the local agricultural show, which has a pets show section. I said no way as I wouldn't want to put my rabbits through it, as much as I'd have loved to have shown them off:) I think you need to ask yourself who you'd be doing it for? Them... or you.:)

Please lets not start another showing argument :roll:

I don't agree with shows either (am not looking for a row) so if you decide not to 'show' them I will make up for any lack of bunny adoration.
They are gorgeous!! :love:

What are the rabbits judged on? Yours are not pedigree so they could only be entered in the pet section. They don't have to be rung for this. In the pet section the rabbits are judged on health, cleanliness, friendliness and condition.

Some clubs do hold pet sections at shows, but some don't. The pet section dosen't have much to do with the BRC, except the rabbit than wins 1st will get a certificate. I think if you get 4, you can get a BRC pet dimloma.

I once asked the BRC a question on the pet section, and they insisted that the pet section was only for purebreds that weren't rung, and they were judged against their breed standard. I haven't seen a single show do this, they let any type of rabbit enter, cross breed or not. So I would say no, the BRC really aren't much to do with the pet section at all.

So is the pet section a lot different to the other shows? as in is the pet section a lot less strict/formal? & more 'fun' if they're only being judged on health, cleanliness, friendliness and condition?

So is the pet section a lot different to the other shows? as in is the pet section a lot less strict/formal? & more 'fun' if they're only being judged on health, cleanliness, friendliness and condition?

Yep :)
All judges are different though. Some will put a rabbit last just because it's in a slight moult, others wont. Some will put a rabbit last because it has yellow feet, others wont.

Oh ok, I'm now in 2 minds about it again!! Whats Rabbit show jumping all about?

Although the pet and pedigree sections are usually held under the same roof, they are a lot different.

And have you seen the rabbit jumping site? Link in my signiture :)

Back