• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it wrong to have only one rabbit

Margret

Warren Scout
A number of years ago I had rabbits, started off with one, then ended up rescuing various others throughout the years. Sadly, 2 years ago our last one died and I vowed no more...we get too upset when they die.
Anyway, Nala needed a home 6/7 weeks ago, and I couldn't say no.
She has settled in really well, we have even converted a 7x5 shed for her to live in, got a new run and attached it to the side of the shed so she has access to grass during the day, but when we are able to be in garden with her she has full freedom.
I really don't want to get a companion for her, mainly due to finance, but I am wondering does this make me a bad owner. I am paying monthly insurance for health plan, but as both my husband and I are retired, I have to consider the cost. What are your views?

Personally I think loss is part of having a pet :)
I do think rabbits should be kept in pairs at least as ive seen how miserable a single bunny can be... and how there personality changes when another bun is introduced.
Tbh i found it no more different cost wise to keeping two, as apposed to one :) I got Phoebe with the view he'd be my only bunny..im now a proud mummy of 5 :lol:

Its not the cost of feeding them..its more the medical bills, then the cost of boarding when we go on holiday. Its not that she doesn;t get loads of attention because she does.

Well if you dont have the money you cant get another, but generally people are for having atleast a pair.
Even if bun does get attention it has nobody to "speak its language" sort of thing

It's a really difficult question to answer, my usual instinct is only have a single rabbit if it's a house rabbit but you've said you're both retired so I presume that means you are at home a lot, you're making a decison based on finances which sometimes just has to be the bottom line. I'm sure some rabbits are quite happy on their own (I've seen a few at rescues that say they don't seem to like other rabbits), yet to chose for the bunny is a different matter.

I don't think I'd want to keep a single rabbit outside but wouldn't definitely regard it as a wrong. The most important thing would be to make sure the bunny has a stimulating environment (sounds like a lovely home already) and as much human company as possible (preferably when the bun is most active ie breakfast time and evenings).

I would think a second bunny would be best if you could sort out the finances. It's not much of a help, but insuring a second bunny gets you something like £1 a month discount with Petplan :)

I know people quite often choose to have single housebuns - could Nala move inside with you so she'd have a bit more company?

i have a single bun but she lives in my room she is so attatched to me its crazy but it would be nice to have 2 if i had my own house.

i think living outside i would personnaly have 2 but if ya have lots of love and attention to give her then she should be ok especially if u dont want another bun its not fair to take one on ur not 100% sure about

i dont think ur a bad owner at all u actualy care because ur asking questions like this not everyone has the money for 2 buns i no i dont at the min nala is constantly draining my funds:lol:

Thanks Bunny Buddy.
Yes, we are at home quite a bit, but that is mainly due to my health issues. I am recovering from Breast Cancer, and am also waiting to have heart surgery.
I just feel that we can give Nala a good life, as I have said we do have health insurance, and we do spend lots of time with her......today we were in the garden for 6 hours with her. Husband was putting finishing touches to her new house, and she was running in and out testing the run etc.
Ideally, it would be lovely to have more than one, but I am trying to be realistic.

I have single house bun, during the day when I am at work he sleeps and when I get home he after about an hour he wakes up and then we spend all evening together either on the floor or both on the sofa! :)

Outside buns I suppose would be better in a pair as are going to be alone a lot especially in winter unless can let them come inside during the day and evening.

I think if you spend lots of time with it and down on the floor with them where can bond and they seem happy and not depressed then all is ok:D

Bunnie was happy with us as her partner and now Polo is happy, always binkying around and having cuddles :p

Last edited:
I personally think that its better to have a bunny who can have veterinary attention sought if necessary, than one who can't because she has a friend.

I think working out what is best for her can be different in different circumstances and it does sound like you are making a sensible decision.

You can stimulate her environment in ways like hiding food, changing toys, and basically just do all you can to keep her environment as stimulating as possible, at all times.

I think there is nothing wrong with having a single bunny as long as it has enough human company. I think it's irresponsible to get more animals than you can afford to keep happy and healthy - even with insurance, there are premiums and some expensive things insurance will not cover (i.e dental) so whilst insurance will help, it's not as cheap as it first appears to be.

Those are my views :wave:

I personally think that its better to have a bunny who can have veterinary attention sought if necessary, than one who can't because she has a friend.

Me too :wave:

If money is a worry I really wouldn't take on another pet, I don't think there is anything wrong with knowing your limits and your bunny sounds like she gets lots of attention from you guys :love: x

I have a single house rabbit and, by his behaviour, I would think he is perfectly happy.

It's the vets bills that are the main worry financially. It's all well and good saying go get another rabbit but you could be very unlucky and end up paying out a fortune at the vets.

Rather a single rabbit that you can afford than 2 rabbits that wouldn't be able to receive the best :D

As long as your bunny has plenty human company, which i can imagine she does if you are both retired, then thats what matters. Its far better you can afford to keep her healthy than to have two whom you cant afford.

If your ever stuck for boarding, give me a shout. Im just up the road and i have a spare hutch ;). Not as big as the shed she is used to but at least you would be assured she was being cared for ;).

I add my support. I have a single house bunny too. In fact it is probably better to have an outdoor bun if you are around 24/7 because we have become "too" attached over the years. Is there any chance that your bun can come in for a couple of hours with you in the evenings? That would probably be ideal in your situation.

yeah i think your being a good mum, your being sensible about it, yes it would be nice for your bun to have a friend but he seems to get alot of attention from you so i wouldn't worry. my petal is single and probably always will be, she just doesn't get along with other rabbits. she can see theo and ted next door and even that is a struggle for her.

I have a single bun who is outside - in a playhouse and surrounding aviary style run. I work from 8:00 - 3:30 so he is in his run then - on the days that I don't work till the afternoons I let him free range the garden - I've tried to spend time with him and would LOVE a cuddle session but Smudge seems to enjoy his own comapny - yes, he's nosey and will come for a stroke but if I try to get more he runs off! I too am debating getting a friend for him but don't want to if it means I'll have 2 single buns IYSWIM. He's happy - why interfere?

I add my support. I have a single house bunny too. In fact it is probably better to have an outdoor bun if you are around 24/7 because we have become "too" attached over the years. Is there any chance that your bun can come in for a couple of hours with you in the evenings? That would probably be ideal in your situation.

I totally know what you mean - I dread the day when I don't hear his big fat feet chasing after me into the ktichen.

Bob is our only bun and a house bun. He's very attached to us both (though not as much as we are to him) and gets our undivided attention when we're home (and my husband works from home quite a lot too).

I don't think how many you have is necessarily dependent on where they live; just how much love, attention and affection they will have. I guess the ideal is a pair for outdoor buns, but certainly not at the risk of being unable to pay for vet treatment.

Maybe if shes going to be a single bun you could think about having her in the house?I dont think I would have a single bun outside in a shed but thats just my view.:)

Back