PDA

View Full Version : Just bought an 8ft x 12ft run!

dayle_x
12-10-2009, 08:48 PM
on ebay for 50. it is avairy style aswell :D
i almost want to cry, now i don't have to wait years for my uncle to build me one :D
My shed is 8ft x 6ft, and will now be with an 8ft x 12ft run, and they have free range of a 25ft squareish run every day for a few hours. How many buns do you think this will fit in?

BeatrixPotter
12-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Wow! That sounds fantastic! Not sure about the number of buns though.

biscuitblossom
12-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Oh wow! Well done!

*lily*
12-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Bargain :D

Less buns the better so they have loads of room :D 2 or 3 maybe?

dayle_x
12-10-2009, 08:54 PM
There will deffo be five in there. just pondering about having a big group...

lottielouise
I plan to have 6 in a 14ftx6ft which is 84 sq ft, and the guys on here said as my buns are s/m then I could fit 1-2 more.

Yours works out at 144sqft so maybe about the same is 7-9 as a bonded group, which is proving more difficult than I imagined! And just because you can doesn't mean you should.

coco1200
whoooo! you got yourself a bargain there!! :D:D
IMHO, I wouldn't put more than two bunnies in that set up... maybe three if they are small!

giantbunnymummy
12-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Amazingly good bargain :D **Goes off to look on ebay**

My two have their bedroom which is approx 120 sq feet, so tbh not sure I'd put any more than 3 buns in really. But I guess depends on size of the buns and how much time in additional space etc.

Snowberry
12-10-2009, 08:58 PM
IMHO, I wouldn't put more than two bunnies in that set up... maybe three if they are small!

Can I ask why no more than two when other members would put 7-9 in? It just seems a massive difference!

I know the more space the better but if someone has large accomodation surely they are better to fill it with more bunnies and lessen the load on the rescues?

*lily*
12-10-2009, 09:01 PM
7-9? Pointless getting spacious accomodation if you are going to put loads of rabbits in there so cutting down on the space they have :?

Snowberry
12-10-2009, 09:05 PM
7-9? Pointless getting spacious accomodation if you are going to put loads of rabbits in there so cutting down on the space they have :?

I am by no means saying I agree with putting 7-9 bunnies in there but more bunnies doesnt always mean they have less space. I know it does a little but if you think about it 1 bunny in a 3ft hutch has much less space than if it lived in a 6ft hutch with a friend (i.e 3ft each).

lildebs
12-10-2009, 09:05 PM
50 :shock: wow...I've been looking but haven't found any like that and I've looked every day!! I'm jealous...I also love the kennel style with runs....
As for how many buns I would agree with the post above..surly all that space can accomodate a couple more with still plenty of room to play and run??

dayle_x
12-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Yeah have just done a search on bunnyaddicts bunningham palace (which inspired me!) which is 21ft x 9ft and has 14 buns in. Just thinking I could bond all mine into one big group?

coco1200
12-10-2009, 09:08 PM
Can I ask why no more than two when other members would put 7-9 in? It just seems a massive difference!

I know the more space the better but if someone has large accomodation surely they are better to fill it with more bunnies and lessen the load on the rescues?

I don't think to 'lessen the load' is justifiable (is that even a real word?!) to put loads of bunnies in one space. You're effectively lowering the quality of the buns life by having less space between the group! Surely its better to have two bunnies in larger room, than cram loads of bunnies in the same space?
This is something personal to me, and I feel sometimes even the 5x2 hutches are too small for a pair.

bluebunny
12-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Was it New or 2nd hand?

dayle_x
12-10-2009, 09:14 PM
2nd hand. I don't mind though :)

Snowberry
12-10-2009, 09:18 PM
I don't think to 'lessen the load' is justifiable (is that even a real word?!) to put loads of bunnies in one space. You're effectively lowering the quality of the buns life by having less space between the group! Surely its better to have two bunnies in larger room, than cram loads of bunnies in the same space?
This is something personal to me, and I feel sometimes even the 5x2 hutches are too small for a pair.

I agree these are definately too small for a pair, especially with the amount of running about Stawberry seems do!

I just think with an 8ft by 12ft run you could get at least 4 buns with plenty of space.

Jaysmonkey
12-10-2009, 09:19 PM
wow congrats on the run! I'm jealous!! :p

lottielouise
12-10-2009, 09:22 PM
I agree these are definately too small for a pair, especially with the amount of running about Stawberry seems do!

I just think with an 8ft by 12ft run you could get at least 4 buns with plenty of space.

Is there a certain somebun you have your eye on?

Jack-Bun
12-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Great!!

My two have a overall total of 22ft x 4ft (run is 6ft x 6ft) which is available at all times.

I wouldn't put no more buns into that space, as I sometimes think it is too cramped now :oops:

*Spider*
12-10-2009, 09:39 PM

Janak, they're not giants!
That's friggin' huge!
If you can permanently attatch it.... :thumb:

dayle_x
12-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Janak, they're not giants!
That's friggin' huge!
If you can permanently attatch it.... :thumb:

Yeah it'd be permanently attatched, basically 20ft long, and 6ft & 8ft wide.
I wouldn't be adopting no more buns, just thinking of bonding my 10 all together.

nursecroft
12-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Thats a nice big setup you'll have :) i have 4 bunnies in 12ftx10ft garage quite happy, although they have min 2-3 hours a day week days free range in our big garden and all day at the weekends.

Becky86
12-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Well... i have an 8x6 shed, with 8x12 run for 2 giants. So if they were normal sized buns, i would put 4 in there max. Definately not many more than 4 :? The idea is you want them to have more room ;) That was an absolute bargain btw! xXx

*lily*
12-10-2009, 10:07 PM
I most definately wouldn't put 10 in there.

Just my opinion though ;) I don't like hutches or runs myself!

Bunnyaddict
12-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Yeah have just done a search on bunnyaddicts bunningham palace (which inspired me!) which is 21ft x 9ft and has 14 buns in. Just thinking I could bond all mine into one big group?

I would say it depends very much on the size of your buns :? Ours in the group ranged from Tiny Tim as a very small nethie at 950g upto the largest bun Libby being about 2kg - most of the rest are less than 1.5kg, so fairly small.

In the end we ended up with only 10 of our buns in the largest part of the aviary - which was 9ft by 17ft. Sadly I couldn't get 4 of ours to bond into the group :( That said I now realise that these 4 buns would have been too big to go into a group with the smaller buns.

Word of advice though, be prepared for things not to work or go wrong, even when they seem like they've bonded well :?

After we lost Poppy from our group of 10 - I ended up taking 4 of the girls out to split them into 2 pairs. Bracken & Eve now live with Arthur, Betsy & Mimi lived with Finlay. We had to split Finlay & Arthur who were buddies when they fell out :( I've then since bonded Mimi with our new bun Winston, as Betsy started to bully her.

That left us with a group of 5 & since bringing that group inside for winter, I've now had to take Jake out of the group as he'd started to bully Teddy badly :( Jake is now living with Amelia & Annabelle.

All I'd say is try it - if it doesn't work, have a back up plan to split the group again. Because buns can be unpredictable, it means things don't always work out how you plan them :roll::?

dayle_x
12-10-2009, 10:10 PM
I would say it depends very much on the size of your buns :? Ours in the group ranged from Tiny Tim as a very small nethie at 950g upto the largest bun Libby being about 2kg - most of the rest are less than 1.5kg, so fairly small.

In the end we ended up with only 10 of our buns in the largest part of the aviary - which was 9ft by 17ft. Sadly I couldn't get 4 of ours to bond into the group :( That said I now realise that these 4 buns would have been too big to go into a group with the smaller buns.

Word of advice though, be prepared for things not to work or go wrong, even when they seem like they've bonded well :?

After we lost Poppy from our group of 10 - I ended up taking 4 of the girls out to split them into 2 pairs. Bracken & Eve now live with Arthur, Betsy & Mimi lived with Finlay. We had to split Finlay & Arthur who were buddies when they fell out :( I've then since bonded Mimi with our new bun Winston, as Betsy started to bully her.

That left us with a group of 5 & since bringing that group inside for winter, I've now had to take Jake out of the group as he'd started to bully Teddy badly :( Jake is now living with Amelia & Annabelle.

All I'd say is try it - if it doesn't work, have a back up plan to split the group again. Because buns can be unpredictable, it means things don't always work out how you plan them :roll::?

Yes 8 of mine are 1-2kg ish, one is a small british giant (smaller than he is meant to be), and a frenchie.
If it doesn't go well then my other group of five will have their own shed and run.
I think its big enough tbh...

KarenM
13-10-2009, 06:35 AM
Well... i have an 8x6 shed, with 8x12 run for 2 giants. So if they were normal sized buns, i would put 4 in there max. Definately not many more than 4 :? The idea is you want them to have more room ;) That was an absolute bargain btw! xXx

That's how I feel too. I have a 12x4 ft aviary (so in theory I could put another bun or two in there) but I got the bigger enclosure because I wanted them to have more room to run around and so putting more buns in there would defeat the object.

Well done on grabbing a bargain. :D:D:D