• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Round-bellied bunny

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
I know a bunny who has a very full, round stomach, much more so than I would expect. If this suddenly occurred in a bun of mine I would take it straight to the vet, but this little one has been like it his whole life. It's not enormous but it's big enough that you can see it sticking out a bit when you look at him from the side.

Any ideas - does this sound like an illness? I'm just a bit worried about stomach related things cos you know how bunnies are with stuff like that. He seems really healthy though.

Thanks x

What's his diet like? I've known bunnies have very "doughy" feeling round tummies if they don't get enough fibre in their diet.

Depending on what the diet and general health is this need not be bad.

My Robinia looks like a rabbit thats just eaten a foootball nearly all the time - she is incredibly healthy and eats a ton of hay every day and has enormous golden poos. She is overweight but not half as much as it looks as though she is from the odd round stomach!!! The vet says its amazing how easy it is to feel her pelvis, ribs etc given the round football shape!!

(PS and yes she is on a no pellet diet to loose weight - has been for 2 whole years now!!!!).

What breed is he ?

mismarked yellow dutch with blue eyes, accidental litter from rabbits of unknown genetic history. One of his siblings died young for no apparent reason.

his diet is good, minimal pellets and veg with lots of hay. he tucks right into his hay so I think he gets plenty of fibre.

Back