• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help- what is killing my bunnnies

please help!
I have a lot of rabbits- i don't breed, i rehome some from time to time and I take in pregnant rabbits needing new homes...
i currently have 5 girls together, 2 boys together, i have a mother with her 5 babies, a female who's litter have just been rehomed, a female who is most likely pregnant - he previous owner believed she was pregnant- and a male who i took along with 3 babies from somebody 3 weeks ago. One of these 3 babies who are about 8 weeks old just died unexpectedly. A few days later, he brothers started looking 'funny'. I kept an eye on them and eventually decided i was NOT being paranoid and they were indeed ill so i got them to the vets. He was unsure what it was but they had bloated tummies, he kept them in to treat. I found out today one died through the night, the other is staying to be treated further. I don't think he is really likely to recover though.
I was worried about this spreading to my other bunnies so i have asked about testing to find out what it is- this costs £50! I dont have much money, but i have asked for it to be done anyway- i have paid out over £100 for the 2 boys to be treated on top of this, and the price is increasing every day! I wouldnt mind if i had that money but i am a mother of 3 children and i am at university at the moment so money it tight!
Anyway i am now worried about the others...one of them was grunting at me when i stroked her today (the pregnant one) which is unusual, now it could be because she is going to have babies soon or it could be pain! Then in my hutch of 5 (this is a 3 story hutch with 4 meter attched run) i am sure they seem less active and one or two might have more bloated tummies...
any idea what this could be and can i do anything? I will have to wait until the end of the week for the test results to come back to know exactly what it is, so i am not sure it is 'worth' taking them to the vets, and to be quite honest at the cost of treating every one of them- my credit card wont HAVE enough of a limit on it- our vets dont allow payment plans or anything and i can't miss a mortgage payment to pay the vets- because that IS how it is! I don't have spare money each month, everything is spoken for. I am willing to take my credit card to its limit to do the best i can, but i dont have unlimited funds thus making it difficult to know what to do. It costs £20 for a rabbit to be seen, so if i took them all in i would not be able to afford to pay for the treatment on top of a consultation. I feel at a real loss...why would they all get this? they all live sepersate but they have a run that they all go in sometimes, but i feel so helpless now

I'm really sorry to hear about your bunnies being poorly.

It sounds like you may have coccidia.

See:

http://www.galensgarden.co.uk/herbivores/health/coccidiosis.php

and

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Protozoal_diseases/coccidiosis_general.PDF

There are various sulfa drugs which are effective against coccidia, but you need to get these from a vet because over the counter treatments often don't contain enough of the active ingredients.

The disease is spread via faeces, so make sure hutches are cleaned daily and give them a scrub out with Jeyes fluid or something called Oo-cide.

Don't let any of your rabbits exercise in the same area, and keep them off grass altogether for a while. Make sure concrete areas are scrubbed down with jeyes as well

i mentioned coxedia/coccodiosis to my vet just now on the phone, she seemed unconvinced...infact seemed to not have a clue what was causing this, or unconvinced my other bunnies are poorly! She suggested giving them a probiotic to 'get the gut moving' but i do think they are pooing as normal at the moment...i dont know...they juust seem not so active! im sure one has a big tummy like the others did too...it feels rather unfair- i am extremely clean with them!

I'd ask for them to be treated for coccidia as a precaution, regardless of how likely she thinks it is.

Oops, I see Jane has already replied by the time I posted :oops:

We even gave the same links !! :wave:

Could you take a faecal sample into the Vets ?

In the meantime I would advise you not to allow anyBun to share exercise areas.

Very important is to not allow contact between kits from different litters.

Back