• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long would you leave it.....

biscuitblossom

Warren Veteran
before reusing a hutch that a bunny with myxi has used?

I've scrubbed Angels hutch out with Jeyes fluid ( recommended by my vet) and just wondered how long I should leave it before it can be reused by another bunny?

I was thinking of moving Bugsy in there at some stage .

I would not like to advise you on that one as I *think* I'd probably dispose of the hutch.

I'd ask your Vet if I were you xx

Well for starters the hutch is part of a two tier hutch so getting rid of it wouldnt be easy.

The vet advised me 2 years ago when had a case of myxi that Jeyes fluid would kill the virus off and the hutch would be reusable....that said it was probably nearly a year before it was used again :?

No problem....I shall ask next time I'm at the vets , its not like I need to use it just that its one of my newer hutches and Bugs could upgrade from his.

I'd just check it's dried out really thoroughly. The way the virus is spread, my vet said, involves close bun to bun contact. This was borne out by the fact that Scamper and Carrot stayed with my main group but didn't transfer it to any other bun.

If you're worried maybe leave it out in the open when there's a sharp frost as well, but my vet was adamant it needed close contact to spread it.

I'd just check it's dried out really thoroughly. The way the virus is spread, my vet said, involves close bun to bun contact. This was borne out by the fact that Scamper and Carrot stayed with my main group but didn't transfer it to any other bun.

If you're worried maybe leave it out in the open when there's a sharp frost as well, but my vet was adamant it needed close contact to spread it.

Yes I remember you saying that to me Nickie.

Diesel has had myxi for over 3 weeks now and Jasmine shows no signs at all ,shes been licking his eyes and nodules on his nose so it must be extemely variable.

Back