• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Questions

RubyTed

Wise Old Thumper
...what's wrong with trancing?

and

...what is wrong with a mix if the bun doesn't selective feed?!

Re 'Trancing' .........

Trancing Rabbits : relaxed hypnosis or a state of fear?

McBride, A1; Day, S.2, McAdie, T.3, Meredith, A.4, Barley. J.5, Hickman, J.6 and Lawes, L7

McBride, Anne., Applied Animal Behaviour Unit, School of Psychology, University of Southampton, Highfield, Southampton SO17 1BJ, UK. Tel +44 2380 597483; Fax = +44 2380 597306; amcb@soton.ac.uk

Day, Simone, Applied Animal Behaviour Unit, School of Psychology, University of Southampton, Highfield, Southampton SO17 1BJ, UK. Simone.day@virgin.net

McAdie, Tina., School of Psychology, University of Huddersfield, Queensgate, Huddersfield HD1 3DH, UK t.mcadie@hud.ac.uk

Meredith, Anna; Royal (****) School of Veterinary Studies, Univeristy of Edinburgh, Scotland, UK anna.meredith@ed.ac.uk

Barley, Jasmine., School of Biological Sciences, University of Southampton, Bassett Crescent East, Southampton SO16 7PX, UK Tel +44 2380 796818

Hickman, Janice Applied Animal Behaviour Unit, School of Psychology, University of Southampton, Highfield, Southampton SO17 1BJ, UK

Lawes, Lesley School of Biological Sciences, University of Southampton, Bassett Crescent East, Southampton SO16 7PX, UK +44 2380 595000

Tonic immobility (TI) is a transitory and reversible state of profound motor inhibition that can be induced in susceptible species (Klemm 1976). Episode duration can be from several seconds to several hours, even within a single species (Gallup, 1975) The most susceptible species are those which are highly preyed upon. Described by Darwin as the death feint (Darwin 1839), it is believed that TI is a fear motivated terminal defence mechanism employed by prey animals, after other defence strategies have failed, and which serves to limit injury and provide the possibility of escape (Sargeant and Eberhardt 1975; Thompson et al 1981). The adaptive advantage lies in the motionless behaviour associated with TI. This can deceive the predator into believing the prey item is already dead. In that case, the predator no longer needs to continue attacking it. The predator may then relax or change its grip, giving the prey item a last chance to escape.

In rabbits (Oryctolagus cuniculus), TI is widely used in veterinary practice and among pet owners as a simple and effective form of restraint/immobilization to carry out minor procedures such as nail clipping, with detailed instructions easily available (Bivin 1994; Chicago House rabbit Society 2004). Misnomers referring to TI as ‘animal hypnosis’ or ‘trancing’ have connotations that suggest the animals is happy, relaxed and insensitive to painful procedures; even to it having been suggested for use with more invasive procedures such as castration (Okerman 1994) Pet owners also use it believing it to be a show of affection or medium to increase bonding between themselves and their rabbits (McBride nineteen ninetyeight)

Previous research has found that physiological responses in rabbits to TI are similar to those seen following a stressful event (Carli 1974, 1979; Klemm 1971).Work by Farabollini et al (1981, 1990) suggest that repeated TI induction initially results in sensitization with longer TI durations followed by partial habituation with shorter TI durations, but more stable, but still elevated corticosterone levels. To attain such partial habituation requires require many repetitions and this is explicable if the behaviour is a biologically adaptive anti-predator response.

Unfortunately, behavioural responses have not been examined so closely. By looking at both physiological and behavioural responses to TI in unison, this study aimed to determine whether inducing TI in rabbits produced a stress state and to identify the motivation underlying the physiological responses.

Physiological measures included respiration, heart rate, blood pressure and plasma corticosterone levels which were recorded immediately prior to TI induction, upon TI termination and 15 minutes following TI termination. Behavioural measures included latency and duration of TI episodes as well as movement and frequencies of behaviours recorded during ten minute pre- and post-TI observation periods.

Six New Zealand White rabbits were used, 2 entire females and 4 entire males. They were divided into two groups of one male and two females. Each rabbit acted as its own control in two TI trials, one trial to record behavioural measures and one for physiological measures.

A single typical response pattern was not evident across the group, for example some animals were more resistant to induction than others. These may reflect individual trait differences and differences in previous experience. For example, the two females had been in the facility for several months, compared to just two weeks for the males, and had had recent experience of blood being taken. The findings showed significant elevations in respiration (p<0.046), heart rate (p<0.046) and plasma corticosterone (p<0.046) were observed following TI. Blood pressure measures showed considerable variation and no consistent pattern was observed. In addition, species typical fearful behaviours, such as flattened ears and widened eyes, increased muscle tension and overt struggling, were observed during induction, while frequencies of grooming and hiding behaviours increased, and exploration decreased following TI.

The conclusion was drawn that both the physiological and behavioural responses of rabbits to TI are indicative of a fear motivated stress state (Day, 2004). This confirms the previous assertion that the promotion of TI as a means to increase a bond between owners and their pets, because the rabbits enjoy it, is misplaced (McBride, nineteen ninetyeight). It may be appropriate for veterinary surgeons, and owners to continue to use this method for minor procedures, such as nail clipping as it holds less risk than anaesthesia. However, the data suggests that rabbits should only be put into TI when necessary and owners and others educated appropriately.

IMO if the Buns diet is mainly hay/gras/veg with a tiny portion (eggcupful/kg Bun/day) concentrate feed the a Mix is OK.

Having tried all pellets I now feed a mix bought from Badminton Horse Feeds and I add dried grass to it.

My vet has advised against trancing as it is just a reaction to fear :wave: From what I have read about it online I wouldn't let my buns be put through that, its no less stressful that just holding them down to clip nails or whatever

I guess it depends what mix you are feeding? Like it may not be as high in fibre as pellets, I think the oxbow ones are highest :) x

Oki! Thanks! I trance Ted to look at his teeth and feet/bum, but will think about that in the future, try to find a different way! :D:D

My vet has advised against trancing as it is just a reaction to fear :wave: From what I have read about it online I wouldn't let my buns be put through that, its no less stressful that just holding them down to clip nails or whatever

I guess it depends what mix you are feeding? Like it may not be as high in fibre as pellets, I think the oxbow ones are highest :) x

Mr Johnsons supreme mix for young buns I think. Ted has grown well on it, and is being free fed until he's fully grown. (What I've been advised). His brother, who has been fed on SS pellets is 4kg (fully grown) and I believe this is because of the diet he has been fed on. (he was a selective eater.) Frenchies on pellets can not have as good conditioned coats as those on a good mix, so, if he's nomming it all up I think I'm happy with it!:D I know smaller buns do really well on pellets though!

Thanks xx

How old is the beautiful Lyric?! I know of Frenchies being fed on Allan and Page noms (and oat rings for horses). Just looked at a convo I had with K and she said that they need the protein in the Mr Johnsons when growing! (Obviously hay is there all the time!) Don't know anything about Conti's!:)

How old is the beautiful Lyric?! I know of Frenchies being fed on Allan and Page noms (and oat rings for horses). Just looked at a convo I had with K and she said that they need the protein in the Mr Johnsons when growing! (Obviously hay is there all the time!) Don't know anything about Conti's!:)

Shes 6 months now but Jill had been feeding her pellets before i got her shes on a mix of allen and page and ss,She gets a bowl in the morning and a bowl at night lots of veggies twice a day and she eats alot of hay

Oki! Thanks! I trance Ted to look at his teeth and feet/bum, but will think about that in the future, try to find a different way! :D:D

I just get the vet to check teeth, they are in every six months and have a health cleck while they are there, if they appear off their food or anything I would just bring to the vet inbetween vaccination/health check appointments. But then I don't know what I am looking for with their teeth so there would be no use me checking anyways

Feet and bum I just lift them and have a quick look, or wait until they are flopped somewhere and go check :)

Don't know whats recommneded for giant buns! Mine get SS but their pellets are only seen as a treat really because they make up such a small part of the diet :) Scarlett I did give more when she was growing but not unlimited I don't think, they were on Oxbow then which I used to feed before my vet stopped selling it x

I know some people give unlimited pellets for buns whilst still growing but for my three littleys they just have an eggcup full a day.

With regards to cutting claws I don't trance the buns but have them in a sort of banana position where their head is near my head and their bum is plonked on my knees...I don't think I've explained this well!..but at no point are they tranced! And for teeth most of my bunnies happily smile and let me check, Lenny however hates it but has had his incisors removed now due to malacclusion.

I know none of my buns are giants, so I don't mind if you discard what i say :)

I know some people give unlimited pellets for buns whilst still growing but for my three littleys they just have an eggcup full a day.

With regards to cutting claws I don't trance the buns but have them in a sort of banana position where their head is near my head and their bum is plonked on my knees...I don't think I've explained this well!..but at no point are they tranced! And for teeth most of my bunnies happily smile and let me check, Lenny however hates it but has had his incisors removed now due to malacclusion.

I know none of my buns are giants, so I don't mind if you discard what i say :)

Hehe! I'm not discarding it, but he won'y fit on my lap!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

hmmmm...what about turning over in a snuggle? Not head back, floppy paws, but curled up in your arms?

hmmmm...what about turning over in a snuggle? Not head back, floppy paws, but curled up in your arms?

This is how I have my buns when I check them. Or in the 'banana position' :lol:
No fainting or limpness, just kind of 'whatchoo doing to me??' looks on their faces.

I don't like trancing due to the fact you can't be sure whether the bunny is aware of whats going on and is in fact very panicky about the fact that they cannot move.

I don't really see the problem with mixes especially as dried food is only supposed to make up a tiny percentage of a rabbits diet. In fact they don't have to have dried at all.

Back