• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Belgian Hares indoors (Or larger breeds) ...

DemiS

Warren Veteran
Hi
Just wondering if anyone had a picture of a Belgian Hare in an indoor set up? Like in a large crate or x-pen set up, not free range.

EDIT: No one seems to have Belgian Hares inside, does anyone have any larger breeds?

Last edited:
They're magnificent, I love them :love:

I posted pictures of some a while ago on facebook, and a lot of people thought they were horrible. I even got a 'Eww, rabbits or rats?' comment from someone :evil:

I think they're stunning!

I posted pictures of some a while ago on facebook, and a lot of people thought they were horrible. I even got a 'Eww, rabbits or rats?' comment from someone :evil:

I think they're stunning!

I've had mixed reviews, some love some hate. Most find her a little wierd, but end up loving her :love:

I wonder if a BH would not really be suitable to keep indoors.
Their genetically 'thin bones' may be even more effected by a lack of natural sunlight :? Natural sunlight being necessary to enable the metabolism of calcium and Vit D

I dont know this as a fact, but its something I'd want to establish before keeping a BH as a House Rabbit

Teddy is in a grump that you're not keen on him! :lol::lol::lol::lol:...feel the glare!

Belgian hares are lovely, not large though!!:D I love a cobby head though, so Frenchies will always do it for me! :love:

Good luck!

Their genetically 'thin bones' may be even more effected by a lack of natural sunlight :? Natural sunlight being necessary to enable the metabolism of calcium and Vit D

I dont know this as a fact, but its something I'd want to establish before keeping a BH as a House Rabbit

you could use a uva/uvb lamp (the sort used for reptiles birds that includes the vitamin d3) though i think the range is only about 30cm but in they are caged some of the time than attaching the lamp next to the cage may be an option?
im not sure how long you would need to have it on for though.:?

why cant bunny be free range? :( can they have a large 52 inch dog crate as a base and be let out? from my understanding bh are very high maintanance and need more room and space to run than an average rabbit so would need more space than any normal bun therefore would assume a shed huge run garden set up or 1 room to them selves indoors minimum set up would be best indoors i too am concerend about lack of sunlight and hock problems that may be faced due to carpets/laminate and lack of sunlight. hope you find the answer tho.

Yes, most are very brittle but you do often get thick boned hares.
The rabbit would have exercise outside daily, and sunlight through the windows, wouldn't that be enough?

you could use a uva/uvb lamp (the sort used for reptiles birds that includes the vitamin d3) though i think the range is only about 30cm but in they are caged some of the time than attaching the lamp next to the cage may be an option?
im not sure how long you would need to have it on for though.:?

These lamps get extremely hot though, I know from experience from my tortoise, Lola once went too close to Herbie's lamp and her whiskers went curly :shock::shock:!

why cant bunny be free range? :( can they have a large 52 inch dog crate as a base and be let out? from my understanding bh are very high maintanance and need more room and space to run than an average rabbit so would need more space than any normal bun therefore would assume a shed huge run garden set up or 1 room to them selves indoors minimum set up would be best indoors i too am concerend about lack of sunlight and hock problems that may be faced due to carpets/laminate and lack of sunlight. hope you find the answer tho.

Yes the rabbit would have free range (Inside and out) through the day, but not at night.

Yes, most are very brittle but you do often get thick boned hares.
The rabbit would have exercise outside daily, and sunlight through the windows, wouldn't that be enough?

I think it has to be direct sunlight as opposed to filtered (through glass)

As I say, I dont know that BHs are any more 'at risk' from the effects of limited access to natural light than any other Rabbit. But given that many BHs do have fragile bones its something I'd want to research more before deciding to keep one as a House Rabbit.

I have just Googled belgian hare, as I didn't know what they looked like..... they are not my fav rabbits, but still cute, I suppose its like dogs, everybody has a breed or certain dog they like but that is just how it is.

I have just Googled belgian hare, as I didn't know what they looked like..... they are not my fav rabbits, but still cute, I suppose its like dogs, everybody has a breed or certain dog they like but that is just how it is.

There is just something about them that I think is :love: :lol:

These lamps get extremely hot though, I know from experience from my tortoise, Lola once went too close to Herbie's lamp and her whiskers went curly :shock::shock:!

uv/uvb bulbs dont that hot....heat lamps (eg a basking lamp/daylight lamp) would though but the only senesable way to use them for indoor buns would be to have the lamp out side the cage (aside the lamps limited range)

....'I think it has to be direct sunlight as opposed to filtered (through glass)'....

i cant recal which but either uv rays can pass and uvb cant or the other way round...either way i dont think you get the d3.

With belgian hares you always get the 'thick boned ones'. Black and tan ones are apparently even more thick boned, and these were the ones I were planning on getting in the futre.

Back