• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

It was so sad:(

Carrie14

Mama Doe
Hello, just looking for some advice please. I'm still bonding Sally and Feegal at the mo. They are in a tiny cage. It's one of those horrible Ferplast standard size. They seem to be getting on really well, she is grooming him and he loves it. Kriss said to increase the cage size slowly and on Tuesday I'm putting them in bigger cage and will see how they go. My problem is I was giving Feegal meds as he has mites in his ear, (that's all sorted by vet now) but as I was giving them to him on the floor he escaped and ran straight to his proper cage door that they are both going in eventually. He just looked like he was saying "I have had enough now Mum, I just want to go home now":cry: Made me feel soo sorry for him. I cant move them to the bigger cage yet. They have only been back from Kriss for 3 days and I don't want to rush things. Just hoping one of you will tell me he will be OK cooped up for a bit longer. I'm dying to let them out for a run but know I cant:(

Sometimes what we have to do for their long term welfare can feel harsh and like we are doing the wrong thing, but remember this is only short term, and it will be far better for him if he can have a girlfriend, and the best way to do that is to increase the cage size gradually. You're doing the right thing :)

Yesterday I had to separate all my pairs and trios because I gave them Advantage spot on as a flea precaution (having seen one flea) and they all looked so sad being apart, but I knew I had to give them short term discomfort for logner term health and comfort.

You're doing the right thing :)

Sometimes what we have to do for their long term welfare can feel harsh and like we are doing the wrong thing, but remember this is only short term, and it will be far better for him if he can have a girlfriend, and the best way to do that is to increase the cage size gradually. You're doing the right thing :)

Yesterday I had to separate all my pairs and trios because I gave them Advantage spot on as a flea precaution (having seen one flea) and they all looked so sad being apart, but I knew I had to give them short term discomfort for logner term health and comfort.

You're doing the right thing :)

Thank you:wave: He just looked so sad, But went back in fine with Sally. I never thought this bonding lark and looking after rabbits how they should would fill me with so much guilt:shock:

What is it they say about ignorance being bliss:roll:

I'm guessing you had to separate them in case one of them groomed the spot on off as it were? Is it going to be easy to rebond them or are you going to have to go back to the beginning? Hope it will be nice and easy for you.:)

I'm guessing you had to separate them in case one of them groomed the spot on off as it were? Is it going to be easy to rebond them or are you going to have to go back to the beginning? Hope it will be nice and easy for you.:)

Yeh, it was just in case they groomed it off. they all went back together nicely, thankfully, even my problematic pair. They were only separate for a few hours but it was still sad to see them that way (likewise, because I had to separate them they had much less space than normal because of having to divide it up, which also made me sad). But they all got through it and will be better for it.

As silly as it sounds, its good you feel guilt, because it means that you care, which makes both of your buns incredibly lucky :) It won't be long before they are in the accommodation you want them to be in and it will all be worth it when they get there.

Yeh, it was just in case they groomed it off. they all went back together nicely, thankfully, even my problematic pair. They were only separate for a few hours but it was still sad to see them that way (likewise, because I had to separate them they had much less space than normal because of having to divide it up, which also made me sad). But they all got through it and will be better for it.

As silly as it sounds, its good you feel guilt, because it means that you care, which makes both of your buns incredibly lucky :) It won't be long before they are in the accommodation you want them to be in and it will all be worth it when they get there.

I can't wait:love:

I think you know your bunnies best. When I bonded Strawberry and Graham I used a small area and increased it slowly. Graham died from a gut complication which I am sure being cooped up didnt help.

When I bonded Strawberry and Snowdrop they spent 12 hours together in a 48" dog crate and then I let them out to free range. Never saw any agression other than chasing from either of them so was confident they would not fight.

I think you know your bunnies best. When I bonded Strawberry and Graham I used a small area and increased it slowly. Graham died from a gut complication which I am sure being cooped up didnt help.

When I bonded Strawberry and Snowdrop they spent 12 hours together in a 48" dog crate and then I let them out to free range. Never saw any agression other than chasing from either of them so was confident they would not fight.

Hi, sorry about poor Graham. What was the gut complication? Was it gut stasis? Because they are eating huge amounts of hay and pooping like crazy so no probs there.

As for knowing my buns, Feegal is a bit of a grumpy guts:lol: He has only groomed Sally once, and that was two very quick licks on her eye, probably because he thought it was tasty. He has marked her with his chin all over though.

Back