• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

car journey with miffy...

miffy's mum

Warren Scout
afternoon everyone,

Im not sure where to put this, i hope its in the right section.
I just wanted to ask how long can a rabbit be in a car journey?

whats the longest anyone has done with there pets?

we are going away 2morrow and the drive will be about an 1hr30min, Im really worried. im taking miffys indoor (nero cage) cage with me so he will be in there for the journey, i was also thinking about taking his fav blanket with me in the car and holding him sometimes aswell. Im so worried i dont know what to do. So any advice will be great.
Thanks guys.

I used to take mine between home and uni. the normal journey was 2hrs 30mins, but one time it took 4 hours. The buns were fine.

What is Miffy like in the car?

I personally would not get a bun out of their safe area whilst the car is moving because if she flips out or gets wriggly then that's a danger to everyone.

I would generally think even my stressiest bun (who is super stressy about car journeys in particular) would cope find with 90mins in the car, as long as she had some time to settle the other end and also probably if she had cool air blown in her direction (but this doesn't work for all bunnies, and they also need a way to get away from it if necessary).

thanks sky-0 for qucik reply.

When miffy goes to the vets which is only 10 min drive and in his carrier his normally really still. this is the only car journey his ever been on. Thats why i thought if i hold him and give him nose rubs it might comfort him a little. when we get to the end of our journey, we are there until friday lunch time.

I wouldn't suggest getting her out but reaching your hand in to stroke her should be ok. Chances are she will just settle down and be ok with it. If you take things that smell of her in the carrier then it might make it even easier. Remember, you have to relax too because if you are tense and stressed she will pick up on that and be more tense and stressed herself.

I used to take Muppet for 3.5 to 5 hour journeys quite regularly, that was fine. A couple of hours shouldnt be any problem.

Please keep your rabbit in the carrier unless the car is safely parked. Imagine if you had him on your lap and the driver had to stop suddenly - Miffy goes flying, hits something hard and is hurt :shock: Or, worse, if you were in an accident - if your rabbit isnt injured, then he could escape and be lost in the pandemonium... Better safe than sorry!

Putting his favourite blanket in the carrier would be nice for him (so long as you're OK to wash it at the other end if he uses it as a toilet). Water doesnt travel well in the carrier itself (leaks or spills), but it's a good plan to have a bowl or bottle in case the journey takes longer than expected and you can at least give him a drink when you stop for a break.

Muppet really doesnt like being in the car - he's ok with being in the carrier for awhile but he hates the motion/vibration - so he does take a little time to adjust at the other end. He doesnt really eat when the car's moving but I do put some hay in in case he fancies a nibble.

Here's Muppet strapped in. He goes in the front so I can chat to him on the way - I'm not sure it makes him feel any better, but it helps me!
carjourney.jpg

ok, this is the plan. miffy in his carrier with his fav blanket. i will take him a water bottle and he will be stapped in the back with me. I feel better about this.
Thanks guys

I recently took two of my buns on a 5hour+ journey.
Gave them loads of soaked veggies before, and I covered the carriers with black sugar paper so they couldn't see out.

no-one ever done a 24-30 hour car journey or a short flight?

on a different rabbit forum a couple came back from europe somewhere to get thier bunnies. not sure where they ended up, my memory is terrible :oops: but it was by car and well over 24 hours.

wasnt for a holiday tho, more like a change of life :D

Back