• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Little Brian's Poo problem, U/D

FudgeTort

Wise Old Thumper
My little Brian has been having a problem with his poo over the past few days, basically he is producing too many caecotrophs.
I cant figure out why!
He is on antibiotics (septrin) and bisolven, and has been for a couple of months and never had any major problems before. One day I found a few soft poops but that was a while ago now.
He has excel pellets, again which he has had for since I got him, about two months ago, and gets a little less than an egg cup full every day, some in the morning, some at night.
He eats tons and tons of hay, in fact, he never stops eating the stuff.
He doesnt get a lot of greens, though the amount has been slowly increased recently due to my attempts to stop him eating my garden whilst free ranging :roll:
He doesnt seem to have any problems with regards to reaching his bum, he often grooms himself after ive washed him down there.

So basically, Im after some advice with what this could be and how to help him. Ive stopped giving him greens, and just given him his pellets as usual this morning and plenty of hay.
Thankfully he is going to the vets tomorrow anyway so I can see what she says.

Last edited:
Maybe try decreasing his pellets and upping his hay, and also offering a probiotic too. It may be he is feeling rough and so isn't eating them and often the probiotic can get them back into shape and feeling better.

He has had a bad few days with his sneezing, which is why he is going back to the vets. Never realised it could be directly related, silly me.

Ah :) That's sad about the sneezing, but good that you can link it to something. When he goes to the vets see about gettingsome bio-lapis or Fibreplex, but yes, it csan be a sign of a rabit feeling rough or depressed. Maybe dn't decrease his food today because obviously he needs his energy to fight his URI (presuming that's what it is).

Yep, thats what he has, hoping to get him a change of meds tomorrow and seeing a better vet.
He doesnt seem depressed, I suppose its hard to tell though.
Will ask for some pro-biotics :)
Thanks

He might just be feeling blah, as opposed to depressed, I was just using that as another example of when circumstances outside food can lead to excess cecals :) Good luck at the vets tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.
Will post when I get back from the vets tomorrow. I want him to stop being sneezy and snotty, its heart breaking.

No sloppy poops for 24 hours:thumb:
And his sneezing has calmed down a lot since ive been keeping him in the shed. (with free range time too obviously)
Lets see what another course of baytril does for the little man.

Last edited:
Oh woo Go Brian!!
*no sloppy vibes completely heading your way*

I was just about to suggest changing the hay :lol: but obviously not if his little poplets are getting back to normal :D

Thanks for the vibes!
He has about a million different types of hay so it would be difficult to determine which was the problem, :oops:

Back