• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Annoyed...

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
Hi,

I was out with the OH and in-laws (parents-in-law, sister-in-law + her OH). We were talking about weekends away - I have a family and friends spread out all over the country and we go away a few weekends to visit people, in which case parents-in-law bunnysit for us (outdoor rabbits - visit twice daily to let them in/out of run, feed, water, give hay, general check etc).

But there is a weekend coming up where we all happen to be away at the same time, so I said we would have to ask someone else to bunnysit and show them what to do.

To which my sister-in-law's OH said "cant you just leave them overnight?" to which I replied of course not, they need to be put away, be fed, watered, checked etc. He said "but they'd be ok for one night, my sister's guinea pig is often left overnight". So I said "rabbits are a lot different to guinea pigs and also I couldnt lock them up for 36 hours in their hutch" (they are energetic Dutches and would be going spare). Amongst other reasons!

He looked at me like I was odd and over-fussing them. He then made comments about how much they restrict our lifestyle (not that much), what about holidays, and cant understand why we are getting houserabbits!

I know people on here will understand - but sometimes I feel so alone with how much I care for my rabbits!!!

What do you think? Please tell me I am not being oversensitive and its ok to be annoyed!!!

Unfortunatley people don't realise that rabbits are not like cats or dogs that can be left to fend for themselves for a few hours. People buy them thinking they are an easy pet, and all you have to do is give it a handful of food and a drink and thats it:roll: Sorry Helen, I wish I was nearer I would volunteer to bunnynap sorry bunnysit your babies:lol:

I would say it would depend on what time of day you were going.if say you went in the afternoon and stayed overnight then they could have had a good run before you go soi it would be fine to lock them in.If you were going in the morning -all day and overnight then its a bit long in my book.x

this makes me sad because my buns often have to look after themselves while i'm at work, and its a long day. they are indoors, in their bunnyroom at the moment, but soon to be in a downstairs pen (the same size as the room) because i miss them when they're upstairs.

I'm glad its not just me then!! I was irritated last night and think my OH may have thought I was over-reacting. :oops:

It would be from mid-afternoon to early evening the next day, minimum. Keeping them locked in is one thing, but no more food, fresh water, extra hay or a little check to make sure they are ok...I just couldnt do it to them.

this makes me sad because my buns often have to look after themselves while i'm at work, and its a long day. they are indoors, in their bunnyroom at the moment, but soon to be in a downstairs pen (the same size as the room) because i miss them when they're upstairs.

I am sure they are ok in their bunnyroom - they have each other for company and a room is a lot bigger than a little hutch. And I am sure you spend time with them in the evenings and mornings.

Unfortunatley people don't realise that rabbits are not like cats or dogs that can be left to fend for themselves for a few hours. People buy them thinking they are an easy pet, and all you have to do is give it a handful of food and a drink and thats it:roll: Sorry Helen, I wish I was nearer I would volunteer to bunnynap sorry bunnysit your babies:lol:

:lol::lol:

I completely agree with you and I totally understand! I've had conversations like that with family and friends before and it can be very frustrating and sometimes even hurtful. Luckily we have enough space for our bunnies to be free range in three rooms at home even when we're out, but even with that in mind, I still can't leave them overnight! I'm also extremely lucky because I have a very understanding other half! Phew!

Yes exactly. I just dont understand anyway how you could put nearly 2 days worth of food in for them and expect them to "ration" it so they save some for lunch the next day - mine would just eat it all in one go and then be starving all day the next day!

Maybe he was thinking that it would be early evening when we left them and be back in the morning for them the next day. Which could be ok I guess, but he knows we will be gone for over 36 hours, which is too long in my opinion.

Ho hum. Guess I better grow a thicker skin...

i dont know how id cope if my family didnt get my love for the pets. i told my mom that i would probably not be able to go to scotland this xmas due to pearls heart and what the vet says and she was glad lol she said its not worth the risk and its best to stay here. id probably not talk to my family if they made me feel annoyed or upset about the animals :oops:

hope you manage to get it all sorted tho, nice to go away if you can :D

Yes exactly. I just dont understand anyway how you could put nearly 2 days worth of food in for them and expect them to "ration" it so they save some for lunch the next day - mine would just eat it all in one go and then be starving all day the next day!

Maybe he was thinking that it would be early evening when we left them and be back in the morning for them the next day. Which could be ok I guess, but he knows we will be gone for over 36 hours, which is too long in my opinion.

Ho hum. Guess I better grow a thicker skin...

Well, from bunny mummy to bunny mummy, I think you're only being responsible and it just shows the commitment and dedication you have to your little ones - that can only be commended in my opinion x

Well, from bunny mummy to bunny mummy, I think you're only being responsible and it just shows the commitment and dedication you have to your little ones - that can only be commended in my opinion x

Thank you Natalie.

I am feeling much less annoyed now and a lot more normal and responsible!!

I dont know anyway why it is that other people seem to think they can tell you what is right for you and your life, when they arent you, arent in your shoes and dont have pets anyway!

It seems to be happening a lot to me lately. Thicker skin on order.... :D

Hi Helen,

Totally agree with you - I would never leave my bunnies to fend for themselves! If you're stuck there is a good bunny hotel in Rugby, if you want the details PM me xxx

Back