• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

could this be a urine infection?

darcylouise93

Young Bun
I picked up my female rabbit today (I don't often cause she doesn't like being picked up that much), and noticed her area around the vagina was dirty. When I touched the area it was really sore. Could this be a urine infection? I think I will take her to the vet tomorrow.

Thanks

It may be but there are other possibilities.
You do need to clean her up as not only will she be very sore but she is also at risk of Flystrike which can rapidly be fatal :cry:

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/flystrike_sep_05.pdf

If she is not spayed she may have a uterine infection (Pyometra)

Bladder stones/sludge can cause urinary incontinence as can a protozoal parasite that effects the central nervous system.

If the soiling is coming from her anus then she may have a GI tract problem

A Rabbit with Dental problems may not be able to clean themself

I would get your Doe to a Vet ASAP

Good Luck

Thank you for your advice. I looked beside her vagina in those slits (I don't know what they are called), but they were black things in them and I wasn't sure if it was seeds, hay, etc. I'm not sure if its coming from her anus of vagina but I'll take her to the vet tomorrow.

Back