• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Goo on eye

William

Wise Old Thumper
My mini rex, Jack, has a tiny bit of what I suppose is goo on the middle of his eyeball and stuck to the goo is a few pieces of his fur (he's shedding). Yesterday he did have some on both eyes but I don't think he does now. Its extremely hard to see, I have to hold him up in a bright room to properly see it. But I'm sure that this isn't good and I need to get it off but I'm not sure how. I don't want to cause him more pain (since this must be hurting him, when I have even an eyelash on my eye it irritates it). Should I pour water over his eye and if that doesn't work wipe it gently with a wet paper towel? Anyone know the cause could be?

Hi william, is Jack up to date with his vaccinations against myximatosis and VHD? If so when is he next due to have them?

If I were you I'd take him straight to the vet as rabbits can still get myxi even when they've been vaccinated. It's not as severe but is still a serious issue so he really needs to see a vet to determine if this is the problem.

My dwarf lop suffered from blocked tear ducts once and he got some goo in the corner of his eye for a few days before we could have them flushed so it may be something simply like that but you really need to rule out myxi I'm afraid and we can't do that over the forum.:(

Good luck and let us know how you get on

My mini rex, Jack, has a tiny bit of what I suppose is goo on the middle of his eyeball and stuck to the goo is a few pieces of his fur (he's shedding). Yesterday he did have some on both eyes but I don't think he does now. Its extremely hard to see, I have to hold him up in a bright room to properly see it. But I'm sure that this isn't good and I need to get it off but I'm not sure how. I don't want to cause him more pain (since this must be hurting him, when I have even an eyelash on my eye it irritates it). Should I pour water over his eye and if that doesn't work wipe it gently with a wet paper towel? Anyone know the cause could be?

No, not unless his old owners vaccinated him for myxi and VHD (he was dumped at a pet shop in Dec 2008). I'm in the US and myxi/VHD isn't as common over here. I'm not sure if my vets even vaccinate for it. all my buns all indoor buns and Jack hasn't been out since like April and there's rarely any mosquitos and other insects in the house so that makes it pretty slim that he has myxi/VHD, right?

I'm worried now, he has what looks like a larger bit of white goo on his eye and he's been having diarrhea as well as normal poops lately. I thought it was just because I accidentally didn't give him the exact amounts of hay and pellets that he's used to (I think he must have a sensitive tummy, he gets diarrhea if I change his food portions even slightly) and he hasn't been eating his hay as well lately either. I hope its just a blocked tear duct or something :(
Should I quarantine him? He's only feet away from my other buns..

Last edited:
If I were you I'd keep him as far apart from the other rabbits as possible especially if they aren't showing similar symptoms. Being a house rabbit certainly reduces the chances of him catching myxi but it doesn't protect the rabbit 100%. Are his genitals swollen at all can you see? With the poo not looking right either it all sounds a bit worrying though it's possible he has an eye infection or blocked tear ducts and the runny poo is being caused by the diet being changed slightly. In saying that blocked tear ducts are seem more often in lop eared rabbits due to the shape of the skull.

Either way he really needs to see a vet as soon as you can manage so he can be treated for whatever is wrong with him. There's no way we can really tell over the forum I'm afraid.

Good luck and I hope he's able to be treated soon.

No, not unless his old owners vaccinated him for myxi and VHD (he was dumped at a pet shop in Dec 2008). I'm in the US and myxi/VHD isn't as common over here. I'm not sure if my vets even vaccinate for it. all my buns all indoor buns and Jack hasn't been out since like April and there's rarely any mosquitos and other insects in the house so that makes it pretty slim that he has myxi/VHD, right?

I'm worried now, he has what looks like a larger bit of white goo on his eye and he's been having diarrhea as well as normal poops lately. I thought it was just because I accidentally didn't give him the exact amounts of hay and pellets that he's used to (I think he must have a sensitive tummy, he gets diarrhea if I change his food portions even slightly) and he hasn't been eating his hay as well lately either. I hope its just a blocked tear duct or something :(
Should I quarantine him? He's only feet away from my other buns..

He seems to be fine now *knocks on wood* :D

No, goo or anything now. I just left his eyes alone and checked on them every day.

Back