• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please convince me not to get another bunny :(

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
I am desperate for a mate for Grimlock. He's been on his own for just over a year but there are a lot of reasons I shouldn't get one.

First of all I'm at University and I have limited funds. I can't take on an animal I couldn't afford to look after if it were seriously ill. I already have six pets...

Secondly Grimlock has free run of the house because he has no front teeth; so after long consideration I would have to adopt a rabbit who also has no incisors or else they would both have to be confined to the bedroom while we're out. We have lots of wires downstairs.

Thirdly Grimlock is really ill with the abscesses on his jaws and I don't know how much time he has. As much as I'd love for him to have a friend it would be unfair on that rabbit to be alone or loos its mate.

And fourthly the vet told me not to. She said he's going through so much now he really could do without the stress of bonding. But Grim loves all bunnies and has two girlfriends who visit him occasionally.

I'm confused as to what will be best for him.

Thirdly Grimlock is really ill with the abscesses on his jaws and I don't know how much time he has. As much as I'd love for him to have a friend it would be unfair on that rabbit to be alone or loos its mate.

And fourthly the vet told me not to. She said he's going through so much now he really could do without the stress of bonding. But Grim loves all bunnies and has two girlfriends who visit him occasionally.

I'm confused as to what will be best for him.

Id go with what the vet said

Is there not a rescue locally that you could perhaps do a long term foster for?

That would be the route I would look at :)

Generally, I think bunnies are happier with a friend. In this case though, I would agreee with what the vet says. Bonding can be very stressful and, if Grimlock isn't in full health, then it will be an even bigger strain on him.

I also think that it's good that you also realise you don't have the funds available to care for another bunny and that would also be a major reason not to get another bun.

I would just make sure he has lots of attention and plenty to do while you're not there.

It's a difficult one isn't it?

I got Louie neutered a week ago with the idea of getting him a friend. But, when I look back on the vets fees I've had to pay out lately, especially on Tinkerbell who had quite a few illnesses in her life, then I'm in 2 minds what to do really.

I looked into insurance which has a £50 excess which, unless you have a major illness, just isn't worth it.

So it's definately finances which are making me rethink my options.

nose twitches

It seems you are really torn
You need to follow your head not your heart which means he should stay as an only bunny

i like the idea of the idea of a long term foster furrie perhaps this could help with finances when you are rabbitless
venice

I think the issue that'd worry me the most here would be funds, you might be lucky and get a rabbit that doesn't suffer from odd problems but then you may be unlucky and get one that does. I've only been keeping my two rabbits for about a year and a half but I'd say that I've spent around £1000 on vet bills for the pair. That's included having Roly neutered, having Roly's dear ducts flushed, their vacs and Honey's bouts of stasis that she gets.

Honey was in the vet recently for a stasis bout and the bill was just under £300 in total, thankfully I have money saved for situations like that but if you're at uni you may find it more difficult to save. :(

Thank you for all your advice. I just needed to hear it from other people as well. :)

I got Grimlock from a woman who obviously didn't care for him properly and he's had problems since day one. I don't want to add up the vet bills but I know it's more than all my other pets combined. And insurance would not cover him as although the problems are different (blocked tear ducts, abscesses, burrs etc) they all relate to his teeth.

I had to go to the out of hours vet last night to get more painkillers...

I know he is a lot of responsibility and I should follow my head. Fostering is a a good idea though, if I did do it that would be the route I'd go. My brother and sister are staying for Christmas this year and they always bring their rabbit because my parents can't look after her. So I will see how things go with her, although she'll be in the hutch most of the time.

Thanks again guys. :wave:

Edit: I'm also starting to think that Grimlock might be deaf... I stomped down the stairs this morning and saw him near the bottom. I said 'hello bunny' in a suitably silly voice and as I bent down for cuddles he jumped a mile and scarpered across the room with his belly close to the floor. And this is the rabbit that doesn't mind people stepping over him or my other half shouting 'bunneh' and almost pounce cuddling him. I'm so surprised I startled him. What's the best way to test?

Last edited:
The fostering though wouldn't be an option unless it was a forever foster. You couldn't bond yours with a foster if you were then to split them when the foster was adopted. That wouldn't be fair on either rabbit.

Back