• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Head rocking and unusually quiet bunny-what's wrong?

Rowan

Warren Scout
Ok, apologies this will be a long post.

This morning when I went to feed the buns, Teddy came running to meet me as normal but Lola stayed where she was sitting in a box in their run. She still didn't come when I called her and when I went to her she was sitting very still and moving her head from side to side repetitively.

I tempted her with some pellets but she wasn't interested. She did however have some water and a nibble of grass when I offered these. She had also done a wee where she was and was sat in it. (Its unusual for either of them not to use the litter tray but not unheard of).

When provoked, she would move and moved normally just slowly and with no interest in anything, preferring to go back and sit in the box. We took her straight to the vets, who examined her and said there was nothing visibly wrong. He checked her teeth, bottom, spine etc. He gave her baytril and a painkiller as a precaution, in case any pain would stop her eating.

We've been out today so I left her with her snugglesafe. When we got back she was headrocking again, though had moved to another spot. The head rocking stops when she's moving or when you're talking to her (and when she was at the vets), it's just when she's sat on her own "daydreaming".

she may have eaten while we were out, but she refused pellets tonight, though ate a little basil and grass and is drinking fine. I can't tell if she's pooing, as they share a tray. the vet felt her tummy and thought it was normal.

She spayed, up to date with mixi vacs, due a VHD booster (was booked in for next week) and was panacurred 18 months ago. She's approx 3.

Any ideas what it is and how we can help her? Teddy still seems fine. i don't want to split them if I don't have too in case it distresses her more.

Rowan

First of all I was thinking something inner ear related, but then I wondered about something neurological. It almost sounds like the scanning that some REWs and others with REW heritage can do due to bad eyesight, but if this is a new thing then obviously its a huge concern.

Can you move them both inside to keep a close eye on her? If she isn't eating though she needs to go to the vet as an emergency.

It all sounds a bit perplexing to me to be honest, but she sounds quite weak and possibly this is something she is prone to but because she is feeling rubbish she is doing it more, or more noticeably.

I truly have no idea, but hope someone else does.

I wouldn't split them as it could upset her! Poor little thing. Maybe you could try a different vet or call the same one and say you are still worried. Have they done blood tests?

Good luck!

This does sound neurological:

my first suspect would be EC and `i wonder whether its worth putting her on 28 days panacur straight away. EC does not always cause the 'classic' head tilt but may manifest with other neurological symptoms.

PS I am NOT a vet and so obviously you should take vet advice - just trying to help with other ideas.

I think the panacur advice is good. It certainly sounds neurological. I hope it goes well, keep us updated

This happened to my Tinkerbell, the exact same symptoms. Definately sounds like a neurological problem.

I hate to worry you but that was how Mischa's EC started. He didn't have head tilt much initially but he sat there with his head moving from side to side almost like he was extremely dizzy.

My male rabbit does this all the time. He's in extremely good health and jumps around fine. He only sometimes does it when he stands still. I don't really worry about it that much because he's in really good health.

Thanks for all your replies.

I sat outside for an hour last night to watch her and the good news is she's eating, just not so much as usual and is being picky about what she likes, which is very unlike her. This morning she seems a lot brighter. The head rocking has stopped completely but she still wants to sit in a corner and not move. At first I thought it may be sight or inner ear relating but I am beginning to think it is neurological too.

I will call the vet and see if he's happy for me to start a panaucr course straight away. I figure it's unlikely to do much harm so worth a shot.

My boyfriend wondered if it could be a stroke, as she's behaving a lot like his parents dog when he had one. Can rabbits have strokes?

My male rabbit does this all the time. He's in extremely good health and jumps around fine. He only sometimes does it when he stands still. I don't really worry about it that much because he's in really good health.

what breed is your bun though?

Update:

Started her on panacur yesterday and today she had another check up with a different vet. This vet spent a lot more time with her and thinks it's probably EC. The head rocking hasn't come back but she's fallen over a couple of time when she tries to move quickly, which makes me think her back legs may be going.

As well as the 6 week panacur course, she's on metacam for pain and anti-inflammatary and baytril incase it's an unrelated problem being caused by a hidden infection somewhere.

She's still eating a little greens but nothing else, so I was given some recovery food to feed her (and got some probiotics to give her a boost). All in all I reckon she'll be tired of me approaching her with syringes! She is pooing but notice she's not eating all her cecotropes.

Teddy also on a 6 week panacur course as a precaution.

Been advised to call them if she's not eating in 48 hours, otherwise continue meds for a week then take her for check up. Trying to keep her warm and tempt her with nice things to eat!

Please keep your fingers crossed for her!

Back