• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Crusty nose- causes?

HCB

Warren Scout
Hi everyone.

One of my rabbits (shes 7 now) has a crusty nose- it doesnt seem to be scabs, more like dried mucus. Her upper lips are also a tiny bit swollon. Iv been away for the past week so my dads been looking after her- shes eaten fine all week and been her normal self otherwise. He said he noticed it wednesday, but thought it was to do with her moulting (she moults ALL the time, in big chunks that makes her look scraggly, always has done and the vets dont understand why)

Anyway, when i came back yesterday and noticed it i was obviously worried, so phoned the vets, but as it was 5:45 they had no more appointments and said to bring her this morning as she seemed fine otherwise. I went and she was checked over- very slight moist noise in her lungs i think the vet said. She has no other symptoms, and the vets thought she'd have other ones by now if it was myxi (her eyes are fine, and her bum etc). The vet didnt seem 100% sure on the cause, they dont think its snuffles which is the other thing i thought it might be.

She's been given baytril twice a day, and fibreplex just to help, with a weeks course. The vet said if she gets worse obviously take her back asap, if she gets better she doenst need to come back, and if its the same by the end of the week take her back in.

Iv brought her inside for now, shes a shed bun but as its getting colder and its her nose i worry, so thought the warmth would do her good, and i can keep a closer eye on her.

Anyway, i was just wondering what you think it could be, and what course of action she should be on if it is that? I dont really know the signs for myxi, but the vet said itd definately have spread by the end of the week. Unfortunately she hasnt had her myxi vaccine this year as the vets didnt want to risk it as she's had a few other health issues and wasnt that great after her VHD jab. Im keeping her seperate from my other 2 young buns for now, they have had myxi jabs but it might not even be that, so dont want to risk them getting it too.

Summary of symptoms- crusty nose, slightly swollen upper lips. No heavy breathing, not too chesty, eating, drinking, weeing and pooing fine, normal behaviour (ie running around, doesnt seem to be in pain, sleeping where and when as usual etc)

Thanks for any help!

Back