• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi - french lops - Clover and Blossom

heffalump13a

Young Bun
After losing my two french lops in early September to Myxi (they were vaccinated) I have just replaced them with another pair of french lop sisters. Only picked them up 2 weekends ago at age 10 weeks, took them straight to vet for jabs. 1 week on both does had swollen eyes (6th Oct) and had confirmed Myxi. My vet thinks they were incubating virus and triggered when jabs given. These rabbits also belong to 10 yr old daughter who was devastated last month when she lost Karots and Chestnut so am trying my hardest to help them pull through. Have had two appts at Vets, last one was yesterday, she is still positive as bunnies are eating, drinking, have good temperature and are fairly lively. Are on oral antibiotics (Baytril) and eye cream antibio (fucithalmic?). Have brought them indoors, have started to put bowls of steaming water with Vicks melted to help breathing, although only one of them is particularly congested. Vet seems to think that as we are now on day five and they haven't deteriotated further, lungs are clear they are doing well. She says if we get to the appointment on Monday evening we may be on road to recovery. Anyone have any other helpful ideas/tips or maybe success stories you could share with me.

Last edited:
I am so sorry to hear your rabbits have this awful disease, and about the ones you have already lost.
I hope you are able to nurse your new buns through this xx

Hi

we are just at the 6 week (well almost) date with Viola Rose and her myxi. Please PM me if you need help or advice or comfort or hope.

Clover & Blossom

Sadly I had to let them go last night - the vet said that it had spread to the lungs and now they would start to suffer. I am devastated, I knew that I would lose one definitely as she had stopped eating and would not take anything from a syringe. I really felt that I was going to be able to pull one through. Feeling really angry that despite all my efforts to have them vaccinated, keep them safe in their pen with netting etc that they still succumbed to this dreadful illness. My daughter (10 yrs) is dreadfully upset, this is her second set that she has lost to this in a matter of six weeks. She doesn't feel that she wants any more now. Thank you for your concern and thoughts.

I'm so sorry to hear about Clover and Blossom, and your other two bunnies. :cry::cry: You must all be devastated.

omg i am so so sorry...thats unbelievable!!! your poor daughter.

you did what you could for both sets of buns....but you never know whats brewing....

binky free big beautiful buns xx

hugs for you and your daughter.

the mozzies are out in force round here and even indoors with house buns tey get in and infect.
i had two moggy kittens i took on oct 2006 and i had them bith vaccinated and fixed etc. then ealrier this year my male kitty was ill really ill hed been like it a few times and it was back....the vet was convinced he did in fact have FELV. the blood work cleared him of it but the vet said you can never be sure unless oyu did blood tests on all pets before you got them.

i can only suggest a rescue with vaccinated buns would be safer than non vaccinated buns. But even with a vaccine its not foolproof i realise.

i really hope you have some good bunny luck soon...as soon as the pain passes.xx

both sets of my bunnies had been vaccinated, although the second set appear to have been incubating it before I picked them up at 9 weeks old. My first set, Karots and Chestnut, were about 6 months old when they contracted it. This is what makes me so angry, people say that they only get it milder and recovery is greater when they have been vaccinated but in my experience, the end result has been the same. Thank you for your kind thoughts.

Back