• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can you make bunny pairs closer?

inmemory

Young Bun
hiya :wave:
i have 2 pairs of neutered/spayed bonded bunnies in male/female pairs :D
they've both been together for about, 2/3 months or so :p
recently, whenever i've walked past their hutches with food, they start chasing each other and grunting at each other, but once the foods in their bowls, they'll happilly sit and eat side by side!!
i've tryed the jam trick, with a tiny tiny bit of jam on each of the pairs heads to make them groom each other, but it works for a few hours, and then they go back to normal again :(
i'm abit confused as of what to do now, is it a case of bringing each pair in separetly into the old indoor hutch to rebond? :?
i see all these pics on RU of lovely snuggle bunnies together :love: i so want mine to be that close :(
i'm contemplating bonding them all into a 4, but i'm not going to start considering it until next spring/summer as i usually find myself quite busy over the winter months :p
if it's of any relevence, Miffy's a Netherland Dwarf and lives with Milly, a slightly larger crossbreed in a 5ftx2ft double hutch and they have access to a large stand alone run all day weekends and after i get home from school on weekdays
then Mocha's a Netherland Dwarf and lives with Maisey, a small lionhead in a 4ftx2ft double hutch and they also have access to another stand alone run all day weekends and after school time on weekdays :D
i've got some other run's i can attach onto their hutches for 24hr access but i don't want to put these on until i can be sure they're nicely and happily bonded :p
any advice would be amazing, thank you :D
and if you need to ask anymore questions, feel free :wave:

Last edited:
My pair get very excited with food.
When I go to get it, they start circling each other.
I sprinkle it all over their hutch so that they both spread out ( which is the idea, but they end up following each other :lol:) and also gives them abit more of a search.

The hutches are really abit too small for a pair. So, I would put up the run that goes with the hutches so that they can have more room.

thanks for the reply :D
i'll deffinatly get the runs up to the hutches this weekend, and i'll try the scatter feeding method :p

you can :p :D

Milly
38-1.jpg

Mocha
195.jpg

Maisey
21-2.jpg

Miffy
23-3.jpg

he'd been digging :roll:

My pair aren'tvery snuggly either. They have been together now for 6 months and still chase and grunt at feeding time and if free ranging spend alot of time apart. They very really groom each other.

I had to separate them for 4 days recently as Snowdrop had to stay in the vets and Strawberry was incredibly depressed and withdrawn without her so i know they love each other really. They just aren't very affectionate bunnies.

:love::love: They're lovely!

Monty and Audrey circle and chase one another when food's about, Audrey in particular is a bully to Monty. Then when they get their food (which I try to scatter about) they settle, but then they always try to nick a bit of food off each other (obviously that bit must be so much tastier than the rest:lol:).

They snuggle up to one another once or twice a day, the rest of the time they are near one another but not snuggled (obvioulsy like their own space:D). Your bun's behaviour sounds perfectly normal.

xx

I would agree it's just the excitement. Gypsy & Alfie used to do the same at feeding time even though they groomed snuggled etc. all the rest of the time.

I have a group of 4 rabbits and mine are like that at feeding time as well. The 'boss' (Bugsy) is the one that grunts and chases the others away but they do settle once the food is there. They do groom each other but when free range are generally apart .... but they do snuggle sometimes as well, suppose it depends on what mood they are in!

okkk, i need to stop worrying :p
tryed the scatter feeding method this morning, and they didn't chase as much as usual :D:D
thanks so much for your help guys!!!! :wave:

Back