• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help please, my Frenchie is losing weight

LoopyLouie

Wise Old Thumper
Hi everyone, I took Bertie to the vets about 2 weeks ago and she had lost a little weight since her spay, the vet said not to worry but they would keep an eye on her teeth etc. Well I've weighed her today and she's lost some more, she's eating normally and functioning as always but I'm worried. She'll be going to the vets on Monday.

Am I feeding her enough?

Help would be greatly appreciated!

How much and what do you feed her? How old is she?

Has anything changed in her world recently? Has her behaviour changed at all?

She has hay everyday which I do see her eat, and she has Excel pellets, about a handful a day, as well as a variety of veg (kale, carrots, brocolli, savoy cabbage, spring greens etc).

I'm worried as she's lost about 3lbs altogether now :(

Nothing has changed, she's acting normally.

If you increase her pellet food what happens? It may be she is not having enough food, or else there may obviously be something else going on.

If you find she keeps losing weight, then whilst looking for the cause you can try oats to help her keep weight on, also sunflower seeds (only one or two a day) and also Nutrical (which is a supplement for cats and dogs) can help boost the body a bit and stop the weight loss, or even help gain.

Thanks for the advice :) I will try her with oats. She eats everything given straight away but I've just read that she may be eating slower if her teeth are hurting and her husbun may be getting more (this seems likely seen as Wilm has gained :roll: )

I'm going to separate her while she's eating pellets and take her to the vets on Monday to get her checked over again.

I'm wondering if she perhaps has worms?

Separating them while they eat can be a good thing. There are causes other than dental that can lead to uneven eating, like dominance issues, or just a faster eater naturally, so feeding separately can give you a good idea of what's going on. Also watch and see how she eats, like if anything falls out her mouth, or she goes to eat and then changes her mind.

She's 18 months and I've had her about 3 months now. She has gone down from 11lb to 8lb and feels bony to me :(
B was 11lbs when fully grown but has steadly lost weight to 9lbs but is almost 10lbs again now.She has always been a sickly bun so think she must have been the runt.

I would see the vet hun if it was one of mine, just incase :) I have brought Scarlett in a few times for this and its just ended up being that she eats slower than Trip so he gets more plus she is constantly sprinting around the house and garden so getting a lot more exercise than him too! So she is just more active and not as greedy

Beau was very thin when I got him and I used porridge to get weight on him, just made it up with water he :love: it x

I would say for a frenchie a handful isn't enough, I would try giving her two handfuls and see if she gains weight, my frenchie Billy eatss sooo much hay, lots of veg but needs two handfuls of pellets to keep condition, they are big bunnehs!!

Thanks for the advice everyone, I took her to the vets just be sure and they said her teeth are fine but it's likely she eats slower than Wilm (as he's gained :oops: ) and she will need more pellets too. I've been giving her some porridge and mushed banana on a night and she's gained 1lb :D

My 2 eat at different rates,thats why I tend to feed them over a time limit rather than how much.B has always eaten a little had a nap for 10mins or so then gone back for more.They have as many pellets as they will eat in 30 mins & that is it.People dont agree with this method but it has worked for me.They still eat plenty of hay.Giving them a handful would not work ,as Dill would eat them all & leave B with none!:lol:

Back