• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Percy has Myxi - isolate him? U/D WITH PHOTO Pg 2

Squizz

Alpha Buck
I feel awful. This morning spotted a large swelling on Percy's nose. Took him to the vets, his genitals are also swollen. He has been vaccinated for Myxi, but is overdue (by about 4 months) and ironically he was booked in for his next jab on Thursday. It seems like he does have myxi, but hopefully not full-blown as he has been vaccinated within the year. I am never going to forgive myself for him being overdue - it was a result of me not realising it was due & the vets not issuing the reminders they promised.

My question is - should I isolate him? he currently lives in a group of 4. I've read online to not separate them. But the vet said I should....but the vet also hadn't heard of EC so I don't put a lot of faith in what she says.

all help appreciated.

Last edited:
Oh gosh, so sorry to hear this :(

When were the others in the group last vaccinated?

Thats a hard one really....Ive got 3 with nodular myxi at the moment and haven't split them from their partners.

Deisel has had it for 3 weeks now and his partner shows no signs.

I'd have thought if Percy has symptoms then they will already be exposed and therefore isolating him won't serve much purpose.

Two of his hutch mates were vaccinated 6 months ago and were booked in for their next jab on Thursday - I have bought this forward to first thing Monday morning. So far I have caught one of them & checked genitals & all looks well. The third bunny unfortunately was vaccinated the same time as Percy, so is also overdue. She is also booked in for Monday morning.

I am so angry at myself - I didn't realise this group were so out of sync on their vaccinations. Also angry at the vets and their rubbish computer system that doesn't automatically generate reminders like it should. Never going to forgive myself if he doesn't make it.

I do feel sorry for him stuck in on his own though. If if it isn't transferable from bun to bun, I guess it's unnecessary to keep him in. I would just feel so bad if I did put the others at risk though:?

A lot depends on how efficient the individual bun's immune system is ,some build up a better resistance from the jab than others.

I know when Tinsels Captain Carrot had it he was not split from the group and only one other of her bunnies got it.

It's a tricky one :? Even if it doesn't transfer from bun to bun, the fact is that an infected rabbit is still a risk because a mosquito could come and bite him today, thus picking up the infection, and you then have an infected mosquito flying around in very close contact with your other buns.

Personally, if they were mine, because their vaccinations are due or overdue, I would reluctantly separate them. The risk of full-blown myxi are significantly higher in a bun whose vaccinations have not been done recently. I don't think there's an easy answer unfortunately; I think you're just going to have to go with your instinct on it :?

Personally in your situation I would seperate him. I *think* I would only keep them together if the other Buns had been vaccinated within the last 5-6 months :?

It's a tough call as stress of seperation can be detrimental to the effected Rabbit. But is it fair to increase the risk to the other (effectively unvaccinated) Rabbits by keeping them together :?

As Santa says, I think you will just have to go with your gut instincts.

It's a tricky one :? Even if it doesn't transfer from bun to bun, the fact is that an infected rabbit is still a risk because a mosquito could come and bite him today, thus picking up the infection, and you then have an infected mosquito flying around in very close contact with your other buns.

Personally, if they were mine, because their vaccinations are due or overdue, I would reluctantly separate them. The risk of full-blown myxi are significantly higher in a bun whose vaccinations have not been done recently. I don't think there's an easy answer unfortunately; I think you're just going to have to go with your instinct on it :?

thank you, it is good advice. I guess it also best to err on the side of caution. What about putting him back once they've had their jabs on Monday?? My other outside rabbits are up to date on their jabs

thank you, it is good advice. I guess it also best to err on the side of caution. What about putting him back once they've had their jabs on Monday?? My other outside rabbits are up to date on their jabs

The vaccine takes 14 days to establish a full immune response so I would not put him back with them :cry:

It is a difficult call

I did not totally separate Misteltoe and Viola Rose and he did not get it (she had it), or Damson and Quince years ago when he had it (and she never got it).

However it does depend on the rabbit and the degree of illness. With both of them we had to have a system of having the ill rabbit seperated in a dog cage whilst the other was free range in the room as we needed to check poos etc at least for the first 10 days
. And in the case of Viola Rose I think she felt so ill she just didnt care if Mistletoe was there or not and he is no help with cleaning and nursing.
But in the case of Damson his sister was a tremendous help keeping his eye etc clean and he would have been bereft without her - they were like two parts of the same bunny.

There's no really a right/wrong answer as you're playing the odds. It quite possible the others are already exposed so separating would do no good, on the other hand if they are not he could pass it on.

One option would be to leave him in but treat them all for fleas (kills other biting bugs too) and hang up some sticky fly papers. We're getting to the time of year there is less insect activity anyway. That would minimise the risk of cross infection.

The other thing would be to split them in two, keeping him with the one with the most recent jab. That would minimise on the stress of being separated from all of his companions.

The other thing would be to split them in two, keeping him with the one with the most recent jab. That would minimise on the stress of being separated from all of his companions.

That's a good idea, I'll bring one in for the night, and then tomorrow I can sort out flea treatments and flypapers. It's such a worry. This is how he looks at the moment, the only sign of the illness is the red swelling on his nose. His genitals are also swollen but I dont think he'll let me photograph them!

DSC00077.jpg

DSC00079.jpg

It does look nodular rather than full blown myxi. You'll be looking at 6 weekish recovery so it might be handy having him inside for easy access anyway.

He looks quite relaxed :D

It does look nodular rather than full blown myxi. You'll be looking at 6 weekish recovery so it might be handy having him inside for easy access anyway.

He looks quite relaxed :D

Yes that does look comfortingly nodular.

However its still very serious and he will now probably have to be kept inside all winter anyway.

We made the mistake of popping Viola Rose into the studio (outside but heated room) for a couple of nights and she relapsed with a chest problem. So its inside the house all winter now. I remember Damson had to stay inside all winter too.

Their immune system runs really low and cannot cope - and after a few weeks indoors at this tie of year they are not set up for the winter anyway.

thanks that is reassuring. The vet i saw this morning had no idea, & I doubt she'd even heard of nodular myxi!
When I read Tamsins post about keeping him in for six weeks I was thinking about his winter coat, & you've confirmed it. Not sure how i'm going to cope with him in the kitchen all winter though?! We already have 2 buns in the living room so thats not an option!

Hiya

I am so sorry to hear that poor little Percy is unwell.
Jims and I are sending lots of recovery vibes.
Keep us up to date.

Back