• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rehoming a rabbit?

cally73

Young Bun
i am looking into rehoming a bunny for my female Netherland dwarf. Would i need to have a 6ft hutch as at the minute my hutch is only 5ft. :cry: Does this mean to rehome i would need to buy a bigger hutch? Thanks

i am looking into rehoming a bunny for my female Netherland dwarf. Would i need to have a 6ft hutch as at the minute my hutch is only 5ft. :cry: Does this mean to rehome i would need to buy a bigger hutch? Thanks

Hi there,

It really depends on the rest of your set up. Do they have access to a run for example?

Where abouts are you?

Welcome to the forum by the way :wave:

Yes if you're going to have two bunnies you really do need a 6ft hutch so they can both comfortably move around in there when they are locked in. It's also best if they can have a permanent run fixed to the hutch so they can get exercise throughout the day.

Hi :wave:

I would say yes for a pair at least 6ft if they will ever be shut in the hutch, although you don't say what kind of hutch you have at the moment? For example if it has a large run attached that would provide enough room for exercise some rescues may say the 5ft hutch is ok as part of that kind of set up :)

The requirements for a rabbit also depend on the rescue involved, so maybe have a chat with them and see what they suggest because they may be able to suggest ways for you to adapt your current set up to make it appropriate for two buns.

Whereabouts are you? Someone here may be able to tell you of a suitable rescue for you to go to. Has your female been spayed yet?

Ok thanks for your help. My hutch does have a large run attatched to it.

Do you shut the buns in the hutch overnight or do they have access to the run at all times?

Call around your local rescues hun and just ask what their requirements are :wave: Good luck I hope you find the perfect lad for your girl x

I am in the north east near Middlesbrough. I am going to Bunny Burrows tomorrowas someone reccomended them. She has not been spayed yet she is still too young, only 4 months. Gwen at bunny burrows said she had some young males that were only 8 weeks but she reassured me that she would not get pregant yet as he would be too young.:? Here is hoping. I feel nervous and excited. Oh and yes she does get locked in at night, that is right isnt it?

There will potentially be some overlap time when they could get pregnant. You also have the risk of when hormones kick in they get nasty and fight. If she were mine I would wait until she was spayed and recovered and then look for a husbun. Or find a husbun now and keep them separate until both are spayed/neutered and recovered.

I am in the north east near Middlesbrough. I am going to Bunny Burrows tomorrowas someone reccomended them. She has not been spayed yet she is still too young, only 4 months. Gwen at bunny burrows said she had some young males that were only 8 weeks but she reassured me that she would not get pregant yet as he would be too young.:? Here is hoping. I feel nervous and excited. Oh and yes she does get locked in at night, that is right isnt it?

I wouldn't count on it! :shock:

Prob best to wait until your girl is speyed.... its not worth the risk, boys bits can drop at 12 weeks or sooner, as soon as they do they are able to impregnate a girl. You can get a neutered boy that age though, or a bit older. Boys can be done as soon as their bits drop.

I agree with the others: better safe than sorry. My vet advised me to separate the two 8 week old bunnies that I just adopted, as there is a chance of pregnancy even at this age. I don't know if he is right, but I'm not a vet (and I'm not taking any chances).

Back