PDA

View Full Version : Cost of castration

Doddy
09-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Today I got my boys booked in to have their "bits" chopped off.
As I am on DLA, the RSPCA are paying half the bill, but when they recieved the quote, they said it was quite expensive. I have been told it is 80 per rabbit. Is this expensive?
The vet is very good, and i trust him, I know it is in an expensive area, but is it really that expensive????

Becky86
09-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Yep that is expensive... i only paid 45 for Ronnie when he was castrated :) And that was at a bunny savvy vets. Have you looked round?? If the rspca are paying half... that would be 80, which is alot of money for a charity to pay. Have you asked if they could advise you of a good bunny savvy vet which is cheaper?

Hugo's There
09-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Our vets is 47 and we are only a half hour drive from you :wave:

sillyrabbit
09-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Trip cost about 50 I think but that was a while ago, I have been quoted about 80 for a rat neuter recently. Somebody on here may be able to recommend a vet close to you if you wanted to compare prices? I think its more important to have a vet who knows what they are doing though but you could easily ask to speak to other vets to find out if they are bunny savvy x

melly
09-10-2009, 07:47 PM
i had lollipop done 2 weeks ago and i paid 40 and that included have his claws clipped, 80 is a lot i thought it was nearly that for a girl not a boy:shock:

hannah C
09-10-2009, 07:50 PM
:wave:
ive just paid 53 today! and i thought that that was reasonable. i think id have passed out if the lady had told me 80:shock:

maybe ask who the RSPCA centre that is splitting the cost use for there bunnies?

Hart
09-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Ouch! 80 per rabbit for castration? The girls weren't even that much! I use Companion Care, and they were about 68 each for their spay I think. Taco is going to cost me 52 for his castration.

DemiS
09-10-2009, 08:17 PM
I had a few quotes and most vets around my area charge 60.

Jaysmonkey
09-10-2009, 08:18 PM
One of our vets is 48pounds the other is 65pounds.

80 is sky high :shock:

TeflonsShadow
09-10-2009, 08:28 PM
Rimmis neuter cost 69 (LOL)!!! With a very bun savvy vet

Sky-O
09-10-2009, 08:32 PM
My buns neuters cost roughly 65, but the cheaper ones in the area at between 30-45.

Doddy
09-10-2009, 08:36 PM
hmm, after reading your replies, it does seem expensive.
I might have a ring around tomorrow, and see how much the other vet in my area charge.
There is only one other vet in my area that i know of...and i don't totally trust them..they killed one of pets before, and refused to come out to another one that was dying...which is why i went to the one I do.

If I did book in at another vet, would they have to be seen before hand, or could i just book them in. I can't waste any more time..i just want to get it done, i have an issue with transport, so need to work around hubby, and he is typically working a lot of overtime soon!!!

But at the same time I don't want to pay over the top...plus it is unfair on the RSPCA to pay more than needs be, althought they didn't complain today about the quote.

Sky-O
09-10-2009, 08:40 PM
Why nt ask your local RSPCA branch who they use for their rabbit neuters because chances are they will have done loads.

Hugo's There
09-10-2009, 08:42 PM
hmm, after reading your replies, it does seem expensive.
I might have a ring around tomorrow, and see how much the other vet in my area charge.
There is only one other vet in my area that i know of...and i don't totally trust them..they killed one of pets before, and refused to come out to another one that was dying...which is why i went to the one I do.

If I did book in at another vet, would they have to be seen before hand, or could i just book them in. I can't waste any more time..i just want to get it done, i have an issue with transport, so need to work around hubby, and he is typically working a lot of overtime soon!!!

But at the same time I don't want to pay over the top...plus it is unfair on the RSPCA to pay more than needs be, althought they didn't complain today about the quote.

If you want to use our vet we would happily help out with transport etc if we can :) My vets are very experienced in bunny castrations. They would need a check up first but this can often be done at the same time they are booked in at 8 in the morning :wave:

Doddy
09-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Hugo's there...that is so kind of you! Whereabouts is the vets? I live in Aylesbury. I have an issue in getting them anywhere for 8am as I have 2 children to get to school, and I don't drive :( So I am pretty limited as to where i can get to

Hugo's There
09-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Leighton buzzard, we use ark house :wave:

It is just at the end of my road, so they could stay here over night if it helped and we could collect them for you until you could collect them from us if thats any help :) Ask for Adele or Christine if you do decide to book them in :D

Doddy
09-10-2009, 08:52 PM
That is very kind of you! I shall give them a call tomorrow, and see when they could fit them in...
when my hubby works, he can be home for 7pm, so we could be to you an hour later....then again picking them up in the evening...
that is so very kind of you to offer help...it is very much appreciated!!

I shall give Ark house a call tomorrow, and get back to you .

Thanks fo your help :wave:

Hugo's There
09-10-2009, 08:58 PM
No problems :wave:

Sazzii
09-10-2009, 09:11 PM
The vets near me charge 28 I think, and they're very rabbit savvy :D

Daisylop
09-10-2009, 10:14 PM
30 here with a vet I trust.

DemiS
09-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Actually, now I think about it I think the castration was 30 not 60. I was thinking of the cost of having two done :lol:

Spays are usually a lot more though :shock:

lottielouise
10-10-2009, 06:22 AM
Charlie was done with the RSPCA. I was quoted 15 when I booked him him, so I could take the correct money, only to go and pick him up and it was 25, Just as well I had my card with me :)

All my other males have come 'done'

Doddy
10-10-2009, 10:30 AM
I have just rung the vets local to me, the ones i wasn't keen on using, and even they are charging 68! For the sake of 12 i would rather take them to the vet i trust!!
Still need to check out Ark House tho.......

Hugo's There
10-10-2009, 10:40 AM
the number is 01525 373329 :wave:

Doddy
10-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Given Ark House a call...they are booked in for the 19th :)

I want to say a HUGE thankyou to Liz for putting me onto them!!! The vets sound lovely, and the lady i spoke to was very helpful.
I have an appointment for 10.20am on the 19th, when they will check them over, then take them in. What i like, is the fact they keep the buns in overnight to make sure they are eating properly etc...
I got the appointment with Christine....:)

I am so relieved and happy..so thankyou Liz.
Hubby is working nights on the monday, so he will be able to take me to the appointment, and hopefully, they will be allowed home on the tues, and it kind of works in with what hubby is doing that day...but thankyou so very much the offer of help.....LIZ...you are a star :wave:

Doddy
10-10-2009, 10:53 AM
One point...they said the boys might be too small, they normally like to do it at 5 months....my vet yest never said they were too small. Their "bits" were quite large...and they have been fighting, only minor, so i feel they are ready for the op...anyone else got an experience of this???

Hugo's There
10-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Given Ark House a call...they are booked in for the 19th :)

I want to say a HUGE thankyou to Liz for putting me onto them!!! The vets sound lovely, and the lady i spoke to was very helpful.
I have an appointment for 10.20am on the 19th, when they will check them over, then take them in. What i like, is the fact they keep the buns in overnight to make sure they are eating properly etc...
I got the appointment with Christine....:)

I am so relieved and happy..so thankyou Liz.
Hubby is working nights on the monday, so he will be able to take me to the appointment, and hopefully, they will be allowed home on the tues, and it kind of works in with what hubby is doing that day...but thankyou so very much the offer of help.....LIZ...you are a star :wave:

Glad they could help. I'm not sure we will be around on the 20th so hopefully you will be able to collect them Ok, they are usually open to 8pm and are pretty good at being flexible on collecting them :D

Doddy
10-10-2009, 11:33 AM
They said they could be flexible :) Hubby finishes his course at Pinewood Studios at 4, so we should be ok....or if they are ok and i can pick them up by 11 even better...but we shouldn't have a problem..only problem will come if i have to pick them up on the wednesday...but fingers crossed they will be scoffing by 5pm on the monday!!!

Do I need to take them a packed lunch???

Hugo's There
10-10-2009, 11:35 AM
They said they could be flexible :) Hubby finishes his course at Pinewood Studios at 4, so we should be ok....or if they are ok and i can pick them up by 11 even better...but we shouldn't have a problem..only problem will come if i have to pick them up on the wednesday...but fingers crossed they will be scoffing by 5pm on the monday!!!

Do I need to take them a packed lunch???

I always take one up for mine :wave:

deja224
10-10-2009, 11:54 AM
:shock: paid 89 each for my boys, is it ok to call diffrent vets for prices even if the bunnys are not with them?

Doddy
10-10-2009, 11:58 AM
I have rung differenrt vets today..all with different prices. You're paying so go where ever you want!!
Try and get a recommendation....I have gone on this, and am very pleased so far! I have to travel a bit further...but for a rabbit savvy, fair priced vet...it's worth it.

89 :shock::shock::shock: Do you live in a posh part of the country!?

deja224
10-10-2009, 12:55 PM
had it done near bath/bristol i have to get 4 girls done now so will ring round

CRBevis
12-10-2009, 03:43 PM
Polo is being done today and it cost 56

Jaysmonkey
12-10-2009, 08:40 PM
Well,I said neutering wasn't that costly where I live. Apparently I was wrong! I was just checking now for Brian as I plan to book him in for next Friday, and turns out its 77.00 for a castration. I thought I may as well ask about Jemimah while I was at it and it's 95.00 for her!
This is the vet I got Lola spayed at back in the day and it only cost 83.00! Just shows how prices are rising! :lol:

Hugo's There
12-10-2009, 08:42 PM
:wave:

We will be around on the 20th now so if you do get stuck collecting your buns and need a hand just give us a shout :D

Netutopia
12-10-2009, 08:52 PM
Hi

Our vets charge 38 for a rabbit castration which includes a follow up check 3 days later and stitches out after 10 days.

They are really good with bunnies too.

ilovemybuns
12-10-2009, 08:58 PM
Hi

Our vets charge 38 for a rabbit castration which includes a follow up check 3 days later and stitches out after 10 days.

They are really good with bunnies too.

were abouts in the country are you ?