• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cost of castration

Doddy

Alpha Buck
Today I got my boys booked in to have their "bits" chopped off.
As I am on DLA, the RSPCA are paying half the bill, but when they recieved the quote, they said it was quite expensive. I have been told it is £80 per rabbit. Is this expensive?
The vet is very good, and i trust him, I know it is in an expensive area, but is it really that expensive????

Yep that is expensive... i only paid £45 for Ronnie when he was castrated :) And that was at a bunny savvy vets. Have you looked round?? If the rspca are paying half... that would be £80, which is alot of money for a charity to pay. Have you asked if they could advise you of a good bunny savvy vet which is cheaper?

Trip cost about £50 I think but that was a while ago, I have been quoted about £80 for a rat neuter recently. Somebody on here may be able to recommend a vet close to you if you wanted to compare prices? I think its more important to have a vet who knows what they are doing though but you could easily ask to speak to other vets to find out if they are bunny savvy x

i had lollipop done 2 weeks ago and i paid £40 and that included have his claws clipped, £80 is a lot i thought it was nearly that for a girl not a boy:shock:

:wave:
ive just paid £53 today! and i thought that that was reasonable. i think id have passed out if the lady had told me £80:shock:

maybe ask who the RSPCA centre that is splitting the cost use for there bunnies?

Ouch! £80 per rabbit for castration? The girls weren't even that much! I use Companion Care, and they were about £68 each for their spay I think. Taco is going to cost me £52 for his castration.

My buns neuters cost roughly £65, but the cheaper ones in the area at between £30-£45.

hmm, after reading your replies, it does seem expensive.
I might have a ring around tomorrow, and see how much the other vet in my area charge.
There is only one other vet in my area that i know of...and i don't totally trust them..they killed one of pets before, and refused to come out to another one that was dying...which is why i went to the one I do.

If I did book in at another vet, would they have to be seen before hand, or could i just book them in. I can't waste any more time..i just want to get it done, i have an issue with transport, so need to work around hubby, and he is typically working a lot of overtime soon!!!

But at the same time I don't want to pay over the top...plus it is unfair on the RSPCA to pay more than needs be, althought they didn't complain today about the quote.

Why nt ask your local RSPCA branch who they use for their rabbit neuters because chances are they will have done loads.

hmm, after reading your replies, it does seem expensive.
I might have a ring around tomorrow, and see how much the other vet in my area charge.
There is only one other vet in my area that i know of...and i don't totally trust them..they killed one of pets before, and refused to come out to another one that was dying...which is why i went to the one I do.

If I did book in at another vet, would they have to be seen before hand, or could i just book them in. I can't waste any more time..i just want to get it done, i have an issue with transport, so need to work around hubby, and he is typically working a lot of overtime soon!!!

But at the same time I don't want to pay over the top...plus it is unfair on the RSPCA to pay more than needs be, althought they didn't complain today about the quote.

If you want to use our vet we would happily help out with transport etc if we can :) My vets are very experienced in bunny castrations. They would need a check up first but this can often be done at the same time they are booked in at 8 in the morning :wave:

Hugo's there...that is so kind of you! Whereabouts is the vets? I live in Aylesbury. I have an issue in getting them anywhere for 8am as I have 2 children to get to school, and I don't drive :( So I am pretty limited as to where i can get to

Leighton buzzard, we use ark house :wave:

It is just at the end of my road, so they could stay here over night if it helped and we could collect them for you until you could collect them from us if thats any help :) Ask for Adele or Christine if you do decide to book them in :D

That is very kind of you! I shall give them a call tomorrow, and see when they could fit them in...
when my hubby works, he can be home for 7pm, so we could be to you an hour later....then again picking them up in the evening...
that is so very kind of you to offer help...it is very much appreciated!!

I shall give Ark house a call tomorrow, and get back to you .

Thanks fo your help :wave:

Back