• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ott ?

I don't think you're being ott really although I also think theres no way to completely stop mosquitoes getting in unfortunately. :(

I don't think you're being ott really although I also think theres no way to completely stop mosquitoes getting in unfortunately. :(

I just feel I have to do something though.
Last night I had an awful dream that ALL my Buns got Myxi. I woke up in such a state and had to go and check on everyBun......... at 3am :oops:

Im getting scared by all the stories on here now too :(

Last night I had an awful dream that ALL my Buns got Myxi. I woke up in such a state and had to go and check on everyBun......... at 3am :oops:

This is worse :oops: I had a dream once that there was a small man in Trip's hutch instead of him, and woke up in the middle of the night and went to check on him :oops: Not sure what I was expecting to find :oops:

I go in there twice a day armed with spray which can't be good for us, but I still figure better than the alternative:roll:

I know...just at the moment I dread doing the rounds of the bunnies in case I find another one with signs of myxi....I do sympathise honestly!

I'm so sorry Jane. No not OTT just very worried like we all are.
My only thought is to do with cutting out light & the need for light & vitamin D3 for bone maintenance, moulting is affected by light too. I've an amusing experience of that.
All the best Judy :wave:

As I understand it (from researching vitamin D absorption in humans), it isn't absorbed at all through glass windows - we/animals have to be outside in the sun to absorb vitamin D. So, I don't think that should make any difference in that department.

That said, I think if it made the rooms too dark there might be other health implications from having a lack of full spectrum light.

If you're losing it Jane, then I LOST it about 5 months ago :oops:

I wanted to open the windows for summer but didn't want the flies so I got some sticky backed magnetic strips and attached net curtains to all the opening windows in such a way that nothing could get past the net curtains because the magnets held them to the window frame. :D Obviously flies can get in when the doors are opened but I don't leave doors open longer than necessary.

I actually bought some of the mesh you've shown in the link intending to make a frame for my landing window (it folds completely in so is the best ventilation in the house). I meant to make a frame to put in the window when it was open but I haven't got round to it yet, so next spring, me thinks.

You are not alone in your fears. I'm afraid I have to hunt down flies and kill them if they are in the house as I panic they will hurt my bunnies :cry:

Jane - I'm the same, every time I see a mozzie or any flying anything really I'm like a woman possessed with the fly swatter until its dead. I have a beaded curtain for the back door and fly papers infront of all the windows, and if we leave an upstairs window open when we go out I close the door to the living room (where the buns are). I'm paranoid about myxi and fly strike!

I second what someone said about vitamin D, humans and bunnies and any other animal for that matter cannot absorb vitamin D via filtered sunlight. I think we (humans) need 20 mins a day for effective vitamin D absorption, not sure about bunnies.

Always been completely paranoid about flies, mozzies ect. Have been late for work cause ive spotted a fly when we shut the window, and refused to leave it in the room with my buns.

O/h has made us fly screens that fit flush covering the window, 2 pieces of plastic with the center cut out and mesh (we have pink) kinda sandwiched between the 2 pieces of plastic, and Velcro - sorry that doesnt make much sense:oops:

Are you sealing your house windows with the mesh - or shed doors/windows ?

Its not mesh, its sort of a very, very fine fabric. I cant find a link to the exact thing I have but its meant to be used to cover delicate plants to protect them from insects and frost.

Oh, and its my house windows that are seeled. Its no more light excluding than a net curtain and its only over the small upper windows which are the only ones I can open because of the :censored: urban Foxes .................

Well, look, it's not something I or perhpas others would do....but that doesn't make YOU loopy ! :D a) we don't have a mozzie fly problem b) I have only one bunny and not the care of lots to think about and c) My bunny lives outdoors and ranges in a large area.

I guess it is an indication of how important certain things are to you, but a sign of 'losing it', no.....you are thinking too logically and researching too carefully, and with a purpose. :lol:

Even if it doesn't keep out all the mozzies, at least it could keep out big chunky flies that might lay eggs on your buns...sounds sensible to me :)

Back