• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snuffle Bun, Advice please.

Would you have swabs done?

• Total voters

Becki xX

Warren Veteran
Hoping for some advice please. Dylan has always sneezed since I found her, but nothing excessive. Sometimes this flares up and she has bad bouts of it, and theres a thick white discharge; but only very little. Her breathings never quite clear though. Shes seen different vets about it & every one has put it down to allergies, and havent been in the slightest bit concerned. Shes bad this morning & Im wondering whether or not to push for swabs to be done? They always put her on baytril when shes having a bad time of it, and of course, it doesn't nothing - especially as the snuffles arent consistant. What would you do...? :wave:

Has any of the vets got further qualifications in rabbit medicine?
If so do they see rabbits mostly?
If so what do they think is causing the allergy & what action have you been advised to take?
All depends on where you live. I would want a clinical examination by a good rabbit savvy vet before anything else. Several things besides snuffles can cause a nasal discharge, dental issues, being just 1.

Thick white discharge is indicative of pus (i.e. infection) rather than allergy. Swabs can be useful but only if they are done properly and really deep, as otherwise all you get is dead tissue. You also need to get a swab done after a period of no antibiotics, otherwise the result will be altered.

There's probably no harm in giving it a go - I would just add the caveat that a negative sample doesn't necessarily mean no infection, it just means that there weren't any living bugs in the sample.

Would they be prepared to try any other antibiotics? My vet tends to use engemycinLA as a first line attack on snuffles and has much better success than with baytril. It's an injection every 3 days so it's generally less stressful to administer too.

Good luck, hope you get some answers for your little one x

I'm so sorry, I'm confused. Why are the vets giving Baytril when they say your bun has an allergy & aren't worried by it?

Back