• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxi jab going in the ear?

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
Right I am confused about this.

The first time I took Roly to be vaccinated against myxi the vet gave him some in the neck and a bit in the ear. Ever since then though they've always just put it in the neck even though it's the same practice.

Why did they put some in his ear the first time and which method is better (if any)?

thanks in advance people

Part of the vaccine should go intradermally ie into the skin....some vets will do that bit at the base of the ear first and some will do it into the skin on the neck.

It's just one of two methods to ensure that part of the vaccine is given the way it needs to be given. First time I saw it I was a bit like, huh? but like you went away and researched and found that some vets just do it that way.

Some vets just do it differently, my vet administers the vaccination in their neck doing the 10% at the end but there are vets at the same practice who do the 10% in the base of the ear x

I was all set to complain to my regular vet about the vet I actually saw when my 2 went for vaccs.I watched the vet load up the vacc and said to him about it going in the ear...he said he didnt do that.And proceeded to inject my bun...but then he moved the needle after pushing some vacc in and then explained some goes sub cut and blah blah....
so in the end I relented.

Back