• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bald Patches on face U/D still worried about the cause of this

Wigs

Warren Scout
In the past I have noticed that Valentine from time to time would have teensy bald patches on her face. She is a mini rex, so has short fur anyway, but I always put this down to vigorous grooming and the hair always grew back really quickly. Vets have always said that she is healthy (when she has been for routine things - vaccs/spay etc) so I didn't worry too much.

Since she was brought indoors approx 2 weeks ago she has been moulting a lot since then. So I wasn't overly surprised when I noticed a few days ago that she had sllight bald patches in front of her ears... however this morning they are a lot bigger :(

I am not sure if this is a normal part of the moult process (and if so, how long the moult is likely to last). I have read that mini rexes tend to go through fairly crazy moulting processes :? Otherwise, is there are a chance that this is a symptom of something more sinister (mites perhaps?)

I have taken a couple of photos this morning (had to keep her still with food :roll:) and would really appreciate any advice on whether this looks normal or not?! I was fairly shocked when I saw it, and immediately thought... back to the vets, but not sure if this is necessary? (Bun seems fine in herself)

IMG_2199.jpg

IMG_2201.jpg

Think the white in this one looks a little more extreme due to the flash
IMG_2193.jpg

Last edited:
Bald Patches on face U/D vets say just moulting

The OH took bunny to the vets earlier this evening. Vet took a look at the skin and area around her ears and couldn't see any signs of dandruff-like flakes, which are apparently common where ear mites are present (not too sure what causes this though?). She also took some samples of hair from around the ear using sticky tape and looked at this under a microscope. This showed no signs of mites either.

Vet informed oh that moults generally begin at the head, and then move backwards (we weren't previously aware of this), so she seemed confident that this is what is happening.

The patches around buns ears are still looking pretty sizeable (though perhaps not much worse) but the patch on her nose has definitely increased in size... it looks pretty severe. I'm worried that we'll have a bald bunny soon :(

Does this diagnosis sound about right? I would be interested to know if anyone has had any similar experience of these crazy moults (particularly in rexes).

Thanks! :)

Oops, perhaps should have said that vet also asked about any noticeable increases in scratching/grooming/shaking of head etc. Neither of us have noticed any change. I spend a reasonable amount of time with bunny in the morning and all evening during the week, and most of the day at weekends. During this time I haven't noticed any signs of irritation :?

I may be worrying over nothing (as usual) but I am just not finding myself entirely convinved about Valentine's missing fur being simply down to moulting, and don't know whether I'll look totally neurotic if I take her back to the vets, and don't want to cause her the stress if it's unnecessary.

Following the weekend, I feel that Valentine has been flicking her ears more than normal (I have read that, as Jane suggested, this is a common sign of ear mites). I have not noticed a huge amount of scratching, but her flicks are sometimes followed by a scratch of the ear area. I don't know if I'm being paranoid, and she always did this, and I'm just more aware of it because I'm worrying :?

I have checked her ears, and I am unable to see anything out of the usual. Her ears look clean and pink, there are no scabs or flakes, and I cannot see a build up of wax. The oh held her securely, and I even looked in them with a torch and could see nothing. Would there be some visible sign of mites if they were present, or is it possible that I would not be able to see anything at all if she was suffering with them?

I am hoping to get Valentine a husbun soon, but wouldn't want to reach the stage where she is introduced to potential partners if she does have mites (I would never forgive myself if she did have them and passed them to another bunny :().

I just feel at a bit of a loss at the moment!! Argh - I wish she could tell me whether anything was wrong!!

If its not sitting comfortably with you that he's ok, then get him checked out. Follow your gut instinct and get him seen again. All anyone can do is the best for their bun, and if that means more vet trips, then so be it.

Could you see a different vet at that practice? Or maybe try another practice?

Back