• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Annoyed at the moment

I'm not sure what you are asking.
Some vets are better at dealing with different species than others, I have changed vets 3 times before I found one that was rabbit Savvy, my friend recommended one vet to me because she had fantastic treatment and service for her cat there, but when I took one of my rabbits they seemed to lack knowledge.

If someone asks an opinion on a vet i have had a bad experience with, i will name them, i dont see the problem. The vets i have had issues with are aware of my issues, and one chose to ignore my complaint letter. If they cant give me the courtesy of caring about a serious complaint, i dont feel i should give them the courtesy of keeping my mouth shut.

I used to use the same vet as you, and had good service from most of the vets, excelent service infact. However, they made a massive mistake and i cant forgive that.
However, we all have different experiences, and as long as you trust your vet that is the main thing :).

Last edited:
thing is there are lots of good vets i grew up with lots of cats and our vet was great with them when i moved bk with my buns she knew absolutely naff all on buns, i dont see a prob in reckonmending a good bunny vet, if someone names a bad one doesnt ness mean they are bad vets just not good with rabbits, vets get more training with cats and dogs rabbits are classed as exotics

Don't feel bad at all Shazza, if I had listened to what I was told at the vet you named Honey may be in far more serious trouble than she is just now. Thankfully people on here were able to let me know that what I was being told was not 100% spot on and I am now going to take her to a more bunny savvy vet.

I have taken her to the same vet before to have her treated for the same problem. They used a particular medicine the last few times and she was never in the vet longer than a day. This time for whatever reason they decided to use different meds which resulted in her being in the vet for 5 days even after which they admitted they weren't 100% happy with her.

They also said they would operate on her when she doesn't need it so I'm afraid I've no faith left in them to deal with my rabbits any more. I will probably still go there with my reptiles but certainly not the rabbits.

If Shazza had not admitted she'd had problems with them I would probably have allowed them to do whatever they saw fit and this time that include a very risky operation that my rabbit did not need. I too will be complaining in writing to them and have absolutely no sympathy with them for being named. If they are incapable of dealing with a particular case they should have referred it to another vet that could (which they have done for me before).

Now that I think about it I don't know if it's against the board rules to name vets you've had a bad experience with but if it is then I've no problems with my post being edited.

If someone asks an opinion on a vet i have had a bad experience with, i will name them, i dont see the problem. The vets i have had issues with are aware of my issues, and one chose to ignore my complaint letter. If they cant give me the courtesy of caring about a serious complaint, i dont feel i should give them the courtesy of keeping my mouth shut.

I used to use the same vet as you, and had good service from most of the vets, excelent service infact. However, they made a massive mistake and i cant forgive that.
However, we all have different experiences, and as long as you trust your vet that is the main thing :).

Last edited:
All vets have different strengths and weaknesses, and that obviously reflects in their care.

I was unfortunate enough to lose 4 bunnies to a useless vets practice before I understood about rabbit savvy vets and if someone asked about that vet practice I would of course say, because I wouldn't want others to go through the heartache I have. Had those rabbits seen my current vet I believe every single one of them would have lived through those episodes.

Likewise, the vets my local RSPCA use are also not good with rabbits at all.

My current vets are excellent, and if they are not sure, will research and ask people they know who knows.

I don't see the harm in sharing info about vets because it allows the people on here to make informed decisions as to who cares for their animals. You can choose to pay attention to what is said on here, or not, and either is ok. All you can do is what you think is best, same as any other owner, but in my eyes there is nothing wrong with voicing concerns on here, for the sake of other's buns.

I think the point the OP is making is not that bad vets don't exist but more that they don't agree with comments made about the vets they use.

If that is the case then maybe a post praising that particular vets and reasons why would have more benefit as then people will be able to read all sides of the story and make an informed decision. If you strongly believe your vets deserve more credit than they have been given why would you not want to name them?

The vets I currently use are used by a rescue and were recommended to me by other forum members, I've since gone on to recommend them. We all want the best possible care for our rabbits, so I don't see any harm in recommending a good one that is rabbit savvy. Like I said in my earlier post a friend recommended one to me that was local, but their expertise were with dogs and cats and seemed to have little knowledge of rabbits, they were also expensive, so I wouldn't recommend them to anyone with a rabbit, however, if I knew someone who had a cat or dog I would definately point them in that direction.

I once took my Dutch to the another local vet after she didn't eat/poo for 4 hours, the vet (who turned out to be a locum) stood there telling me how perfectly marked she was, he listened to her chest and said she was fine:roll: I told him what I thought was wrong with her and what meds she needed, he left the room (I suspect to discuss this with another vet) and came back and agreed with me and gave me the necessary meds, needless to say I never returned back there:? Like I said I tried at least 3 vets before I found one that I have confidence in - they are about 12 miles away from where I live, but I would sooner travel and get the service my rabbits deserve.

I think the point the OP is making is not that bad vets don't exist but more that they don't agree with comments made about the vets they use.

If that is the case then maybe a post praising that particular vets and reasons why would have more benefit as then people will be able to read all sides of the story and make an informed decision. If you strongly believe your vets deserve more credit than they have been given why would you not want to name them?

I agree - I think people are entitled to give their opinions on a certain vet and, if you don't agree then you should post on that particular thread, giving your reasons. :) Everybody can only speak for their own experiences with a particular vet & it may be that their vet is brilliant with cats/dogs and maybe not so experienced with rabbits for example.

The vets I currently use are used by a rescue and were recommended to me by other forum members, I've since gone on to recommend them. We all want the best possible care for our rabbits, so I don't see any harm in recommending a good one that is rabbit savvy. Like I said in my earlier post a friend recommended one to me that was local, but their expertise were with dogs and cats and seemed to have little knowledge of rabbits, they were also expensive, so I wouldn't recommend them to anyone with a rabbit, however, if I knew someone who had a cat or dog I would definately point them in that direction.

I once took my Dutch to the another local vet after she didn't eat/poo for 4 hours, the vet (who turned out to be a locum) stood there telling me how perfectly marked she was, he listened to her chest and said she was fine:roll: I told him what I thought was wrong with her and what meds she needed, he left the room (I suspect to discuss this with another vet) and came back and agreed with me and gave me the necessary meds, needless to say I never returned back there:? Like I said I tried at least 3 vets before I found one that I have confidence in - they are about 12 miles away from where I live, but I would sooner travel and get the service my rabbits deserve.

I agree with Sue - all vets have expertise in certain areas, and as people have already mentioned, bunnies are classed as exotics, unfortunately not every vet will be up to speed with bunny care - especially as rabbit medicine is a continually evolving area. As bunny mummys and daddys we have to keep very up to date ourselves - hence this excellent forum for us all! It is so important to have faith and confidence in our vets and as long as we all have that, that's great! If not, and people have had bad experiences, then I do think it's important to be given the opportunity to share some of this, to ask for help on here and to be put in contact with some excellent bunny friendly vets. We're all on this forum because we love our bunnies and want the very best for them, recommending excellent bunny vets is brilliant and positive practice and I think should be encouraged!:wave:

its ok I will be keeping my thoughts to myself from now on.....I just want best for my animals thats why I came in here in the first place

Which is all anyone wants for their animals and others. You're among like-minded people here because we all want what's best, nothing more, nothing less :)

its ok I will be keeping my thoughts to myself from now on.....

That's a shame. :( I don't know if my previous post came across as it was intended but I think it's good to hear everybody's experiences with a certain vet, to get a more balanced picture. Your opinion is no less valid just because you disagree with what somebody else may have said about that vet.

its ok I will be keeping my thoughts to myself from now on.....I just want best for my animals thats why I came in here in the first place

If you are happy with the service and treatment your vets offer, I don't see what the problem is, perhaps others have had bad experiences and are just making sure you are aware of this:D

Back