• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pasturella advice please?

Foofy

Alpha Buck
My bun Honey has today been diagnosed with Pasturella. She has had ongoing respiratory problems this year and had fluid on her lungs earlier in the year which was swab tested and diagnosed as E-Coli she was on AB's for most of this year and seemed to be getting better & better so my vet and I made the decision to stop the AB's at the beginning of September.

She was fine for about a month then started having sneezing fits after eating her pellets in the morning. Took her back to vets and she was put back on Septrin & Metacam and had another nasal swab taken. Just got results today from this and E-coli is not present now but Pasturella is. Taking her back tomorrow to vets as they have recommended injecting her every 3rd day with Ab's called something like Endomoxin (will find out the proper name tomorrow) so I am going to learn how to do the jabs and have been advised she will have to probably stay on this for life.

Just wanted to know if anyone else's bun has had similar problems and has injecting with AB's worked and kept it under control so bun can have a happy life? She is 5 years old. Thanks :wave:

:wave: Hiya, one of my buns, Kiki is pasturella positive and has a nasal abscess after having 4 ops to remove her wonky front teeth, so is one permanent antibiotics. She had injections every other day for about 9 months then went onto oral ceporex. This is £18 and any solution made up has to be discarded after 10 days, so although she seemed fine, this is not cost effective (working out at £54 a month). Note this manages her symptoms rather than cures her. So she is now on the tablet form which I adminster by putting half a tablet in a 1/4 of a white grape, twice a day. more cost effective at £24 for 30 days tablets.

Her quality of life is fab, apart from the scab on her nose, you wouldn't know there was anything wrong with her as she leaps round the garden - she is a very happy bun. She is bonded with 2 male buns and occassionally spreads her love and snot to her partners.... if I catch them sneezing, off to the Vets and they're given baytril which works for them.

Good luck. x

Thanks Luvabun for your reply it's really encouraging. I am glad Kiki is doing well :)

Honey is not bonded but I do have another Bun Smudge (they were supposed to be bonded but kept fighting) who is in a seperate cage next to Honey's. He is a dental bun and has elongated tooth roots so is on Metacam & Baytril for ever. Perhaps it's good he is on the Baytril as hopefully he won't pick up the Pasturella from Honey?

Guess I am not meant to have healthy buns at the moment :( they seem to be enjoying being spoilt rotten though :)

If I've understood it right, there's different strains and different antibiotics work for different buns.

Keeping them happy seems to be the key so continue with the spoiling :)

What do you have to do for Smudge (other than Metacam and Baytril?)

I have had a lot of success with an antibiotic called Ceporex. Combine that with metacam, bisolven (helps the antibiotic get to all parts of the nasel passage). You might want to discuss this with your vet.
Most of the bunnies I have in for the rescue are snuffly and although you will be looking at weeks of treatment it has been quite successful.
I have one bun that hasn't responded as well to Ceporex...I would expect symptoms to disappear within the week, so we are trying marbocyl and ceporex for him.
I hope you get a solution for your bunny.

Several vets are now giving AB's either by mouth OR injection + AB's by nebulizer (breathed into the nose & sinuses) + human antibiotic EYE drops (Chloramphenicol) into the eyes. They trickle down the tear duct & into the back of the nose where the problem is. They also use non-steroidal anti inflammatory drugs eg Metacam to reduce the swelling in the tissues.

It's a case of prolonged treatment but is getting much better results.
Which AB to use depends on which bacterium is causing the snuffles.
Unfortunately, the longer a bun has had snuffles the more difficult it is to treat.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Honey is on Septrin & Metacam at the moment but will be changing the Septrin today. She has also had Bisolvon granules before to help dry up the fluid so will check with vet this evening and see if maybe she can have this again if it will help her.

What do you have to do for Smudge (other than Metacam and Baytril?)

Smudge has to have monthly check ups to see if he has any spurs and if so have a dental. He also has to have really high doses of the Metacam when he gets pain from the tooth roots. When he does get the pain he usually starts shaking his head a lot, dribbles and can't eat his food properly so I always know when he is uncomfortable. Then he has to have a trip to the vet for a check up and have his Metacam dose put up. At the moment (touch wood) he is doing well and I have been able to reduce the Metacam.

Thanks again everyone for your replies and will let you know how I get on this evening with Honey and wish me luck with the injections :wave:

my rainbow bun had pasturella, theres all different strains of it, some affecting different areas. unfortunately for Ralph he ended up with abcesses on the lungs. he started struggling for air and within a week we had to make a terrible decision.
stress and heat change can annoy them so try and keep things low key and at one tempature. i'm really sorry this is all the advise i had as ralphs was different than your buns. many buns live for many years with it quite happily. i really hope things work for you.

Took Honey to vets yesterday evening. The Lab report for the Pasturella she has didn't mention the injectable AB (Engemycin) as sensitive for it. As my usual vet is off sick, we made the decision to keep her on the Septrin (as this was listed on report as effective) and the Metacam. She has now been on both of these for a week and a bit now. She is quite a lot better now she's back on the meds and hasn't had any sneezing fits (that I have seen) for a few days and her nose is a bit drier too :)

All the vets at the practice have agreed though that they think she should stay on AB's now for a long time possibly the rest of her life.

If anyone else has had experience of buns with this type of Pasturella (sneezing fits and runny nose) I would love to hear what has/hasn't worked for your bunny?

:wave: Hiya, one of my buns, Kiki is pasturella positive and has a nasal abscess after having 4 ops to remove her wonky front teeth, so is one permanent antibiotics. She had injections every other day for about 9 months then went onto oral ceporex. This is £18 and any solution made up has to be discarded after 10 days, so although she seemed fine, this is not cost effective (working out at £54 a month). Note this manages her symptoms rather than cures her. So she is now on the tablet form which I adminster by putting half a tablet in a 1/4 of a white grape, twice a day. more cost effective at £24 for 30 days tablets.

Her quality of life is fab, apart from the scab on her nose, you wouldn't know there was anything wrong with her as she leaps round the garden - she is a very happy bun. She is bonded with 2 male buns and occassionally spreads her love and snot to her partners.... if I catch them sneezing, off to the Vets and they're given baytril which works for them.

Good luck. x

This is very interesting.I have always injected ceporex as I thought it was toxic to give it to a bun orally.My vet wanted to put my bunny Blue back on cephalexin but I would have to inject him twice a day.He is on chloramphenical eye drops and Engamycin injections every three days at the moment.I'm afraid he seems to have built up a resistance to the engamycin.
If the cephalexin is safe to give orally I will discus this option next week

My Molly had bad sneezing fits and discharge when I first got her. She had baytril for about a month, which did absolutley nothing, it was about a months course of paediatric septrin that really helped her. Her snuffles is now at a manegable level, with regular check ups to make sure it isnt affecting her lungs. She now does the occasional dry sneeze and sometimes has a bit of snot.

My other bunny Brian has much worse snuffles, he had Ronaxan (sp) tablets, which did nothing, Paediatric septrin for a month, which did nothing, and he has now been prescribed baytril so Im hoping this will work
Ive found bisolven powder really helps to calm down the sneezing fits, and make sure he doesnt have difficulty breathing.
On particularly bad days I put a tissue with a few drops of olbas oil in their shed, out of their reach, just to make sure his airways stay clear.

Ive found changes in environment make a massive difference to their snuffles. When I moved them into their shed both had bad flare ups, which settled after a few days. I also use dust free hay to prevent aggrevating their noses further.

Long post, sorry.

FudgeTort, thanks for your reply. It's really interesting to hear about other people's experiences with Pasturella in their buns.

Honey is doing well on the Metacam & Septrin at the moment (been on these 2 for a week and half now) and doesn't appear to be having any sneezing fits now and her nose is a bit drier :) Am waiting for the lab to let vets know if the Engemycin will be effective against the strain of Pasturella she has, if so may change her to this.

I think you are right regarding the change of environment too as Honey's respiratory problems flared up again this time after I moved her hutch, it's now facing a different way.

I hope the Baytril does the trick for your bun Brian.

Back