• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free Range Buns

clarebear

Mama Doe
I know some of you let your Buns out to have free range of the garden. I could probably do this for Bramble, which I'm sure he would love. Do you not worry that something ie. a cat might get in the garden though?

Our bunnies love their freeranging time, but either me or OH are always in the garden with them so that we can deal with any situations that arise!

Personally I would never leave a Rabbit to free range in the garden unless supervised

IMO its just not worth the risk. No garden can ever be 100% predator proof and I would never forgive myself if a Fox or a Cat killed my Rabbit :cry:

My rabbits (all 4) have access to the garden during the day and I can't be there 100% of the time. I do worry yes however I would rather let them have free time than being couped up.

When I was younger too, we let a couple of our bunnies free range and our garden wasn't bunny proof! We had the 'holey' fence and a drive that was open to the main road! My rabbit 'snowy' used to be out all day, every day and never once tried to get through the fence (it would have been so easy) or escaped through the drive. We had cats and maybe foxes too and dont know if we were just very lucky but he lived for years and it was mixi that killed him in the end, god bless him.

Two of mine are in a fenced off part of the garden and come and go as they please whilst I am at work. I have come home to find a little black kitten from the neighbours in the bedroom of the hutch asleep, and the rabbits are eating hay in the living area. Never had any problems with cats. The top of the hutch is also a favourite for sleep cats to rest. In my experience the cats are always quite scared of the rabbits.

my bunnies are left unsupervised free ranging sometimes, but 9 times out of 10 there is someone home to watch them.
We have no foxes in our area, and the cats dare not go into our garden either becuase they can probably smell the wee of a great big staffy :lol:

My bunnies are always free ranging, I couldn't give them anything less.

I usually have one rabbit in the run, one free range outside, and one running around in the house. I can only let Harley free-range outside, because he wont go out of the garden like Flash used to do. There is a small hole in the garage door which he can fit through. If he's scared or bored, he usually goes in there.

And as for cats, the few cats down are street are petrified of him :lol: I always look out of the window to check on him just incase.

I could never leave my buns free range unsupervised....no one can possibly know for certain that they don't have foxes, and even if you don't, what's to stop one moving to the area?

I was told by my neighbours that we didn't have foxes as they had free range chickens and had never lost any, the next day a fox took both my rabbits from a locked hutch.

I would obviously prefer everybun to have limitless space but I'd go for a large run over a terrifying death.

I would never leave my buns free ranging unsupervised as tempting as it is, ive never seen a fox but i would never ever risk it after seeing my sisters buns ripped apart.... she'd never seen a fox either, they jumped a 6ft fence and got into her run in broad daylight whilst she was in the house!!!!

Cats dont come in my garden either but you still could have a bird of prey fly over or even crows and magpies sometimes become territorial and will have a go at a bunny they could peck an eye out. Mine are let out when i get in from work supervised and in the run everyday.

I had free range rabbits for 8 years, always saying that they were safe because we didn't have foxes. The problem is, you never know what day a fox is going to discover you. The day it happened to me was the day I discovered both my beloved babies dead. I also used to say that I'd prefer to see my rabbits happy and free ranging and take that risk, rather than keep them 'cooped up'. I changed my mind after that happened and now think I strike a happy balance between keeping them safe and giving them plenty of space. My lops for instance have a 4ft playhouse with a 12ft run attached; my nethies have a 3 storey 5*2 hutch with an 8ft run attached.

We moved here 2 years ago and recently even here one day there was a load of kerfuffle and there was a fox in the garden at 11am. I'd never seen one anywhere near here before either...

Personally I think it's a huge risk, and that on the whole it's better to provide decent sized secure accommodation all the time. I don't dare let mine out even when I am there, because I know I couldn't catch them quickly enough if a fox did suddenly jump over the fence unexpectedly. Having had it happen twice, in two houses where I'd never seen a fox before, I know that you need to expect the unexpected.

If you do intend to have free range buns, I would suggest investing in an electric fence to go round the edge of your garden.

Last edited:
Mine are free range unsupervised from dawn til dusk and I wouldn't have it any other way unless there was a serious fox problem local to me ie a family living next door or loads that visited my garden. If that were the case I probably wouldn't have rabbits.
My personal opinion is that I would rather they had a free short life than a long couped up one. :wave:

Mine are free range unsupervised from dawn til dusk and I wouldn't have it any other way unless there was a serious fox problem local to me ie a family living next door or loads that visited my garden. If that were the case I probably wouldn't have rabbits.
My personal opinion is that I would rather they had a free short life than a long couped up one. :wave:

Mine arent cooped up? They have the whole garage to themselves, then have grazing time everyday in the run and then usually 2-3 hours every weekday freerange in the garden and most of the day at weekends. Foxes are everywhere and there seem to be more around everyday. :(

I wont let anyone make me feel guilty that my buns are house buns - they have about three hours a day in the garden usually when I am in kitchen or garden but I would not let them be unsupervised.

They hate going out! :lol: They sit at back door huddled up!

My bun free ranges in the garden, which is bunny enclosed. I'm out there with him every second, & listening out for bird alarm calls too.

Mine arent cooped up? They have the whole garage to themselves, then have grazing time everyday in the run and then usually 2-3 hours every weekday freerange in the garden and most of the day at weekends. Foxes are everywhere and there seem to be more around everyday. :(

Yes but the majority of rabbit owners still don't give their rabbits more than a 5ft hutch with a 6 x 4 run attached. To me thats like being kept in my small 2 bed house and 50 ft garden forever. I would go insane if I was couped up like that all my life.

Rabbits owned by most people on this forum DO get alot more free running space as you have just described and are the lucky ones. :D

I've kept rabbits free range for about 17/18 years now I think and so long as you take precautions and are aware of foxes it can be no problem. I have the added protection of having a dog and LOADS of cats (I have 2, my neighbour has 4 and there are several others that hang around all day and night!) in the vicinity. Foxes tend to steer clear of area's with large numbers of resident cats, too much hassle trying to get past without being scratched across the face!
It works for us and I can feel happy in the knowledge that im giving them the best possible 'enrichment' I can in my situation as do most people here.

Its each to their own and i'm not going to judge someone else for having their rabbits in smaller enclosures unless its tiny and blatantly cruel but I will put my opinion across so people can make an informed choice. :wave:

I wont let anyone make me feel guilty that my buns are house buns - they have about three hours a day in the garden usually when I am in kitchen or garden but I would not let them be unsupervised.

They hate going out! :lol: They sit at back door huddled up!

I have a housebun too (his choice!) and he is just the same! He waits at the back door in the morning and goes out with the dog first thing but then comes back in and goes to chill in the living room! :lol:

i allow my rabbits free run time when i am home, it means i can keep an eye on them and granted it is only every 5-10 mins popping out to check on them or looking out the window and yes i apprichiate there are foxes around however i like the fact that they can run free accross the garden and i dont feel guilty about it. my neighbour on the right has 2 very large dogs and 5 cats who while they wont stop a fox i nthe daytime will deter one, my other side neighbour is in her garden 99% of the time pottering(she is in her 70's) so i feel this is also a deterrant at the back of our house we back onto another row of terraces the gentleman behind us is often in his garden too.
in saying this when i am going out i always put them in their hutchs or at least into the run/hutch combi so nothing can get to them. i feel guilty about this but i dont want to take extra risks, i think free range rabbtis have a better quality of life and a more natrual quality of life and im not afraid to say that, i do know the risks but prefer this to a life in a run permenantly, whatever size it is. i know many people disagree with me on this point but i have to say dora and arthur never binky in thier run yet do in the garden and no its not a small run either. whatever the risks i feel i mitigate against them as much as is humanely possible but i accept that something could happen. foxes are in our area granted iv never seen one in the day but ithink its a choice for the owner to make and i guess it is similar to letting children out on thier own down the road, thier could be peadophiles ther but you have to take some risk or allow them no freedom( i am talking about small but not little little children) maybe this is not the right example but its the way i feel about it.

It's a choice that each individual has to make and be happy with, and you have to be comfortable to live with the consequences of your choice. I have done as much as I can to protect my buns in their enclosure and would still feel devastated if a fox got to them. I don't think I could live with myself if it happened while they were free range.

I wouldn't leave Alfie and Bubbles unattended - we have too many cats around for a start. Not all cats are scared of rabbbits and not all rabbits will chase the cats away. From a brief encounter they had with our own cat, I am pretty sure that Alfie would chase them off but Bubbles would be petrified and would be an easy target for them if Alfie wasn't right by her side to protect her.

As for foxes, we have lots of cats in the neighbourhood, all of which (apart from mine) are out at night and this didn't stop the fox from attacking one of the cats recently. Granted, the fox might not be so bold during the day time, but that's not a risk I'm prepared to take.

My buns have always been free range in the day time.Im here most of the time and I love to see them running around the garden

Mine all take turns to free range every day, which means on average I need to be home to supervise them for around 7hrs every day!

I always supervise mine though - I am either in the garden with them mucking out the sheds, or pottering in the kitchen or utility with the doors open.
I also have three dogs that sit out in the garden with the buns, so they're a great deterrent to predators and a good early warning system that something is afoot.

I wouldn't ever leave my buns unsupervised in the garden though, just not worth the risk.
Mine have their permanent runs attached to their sheds, but they absolutely love free time in the garden - I love to just sit and watch them - far better than any TV to see buns racing around, binkying, digging and having fun!

Back