• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Disinfectant for after illness?

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
Hi guys

What would be the best thing to use to disinfect the outside area and indoors? The vet is thinking EC at the moment but still not had test results back yet

I am concerned about bringing Trip and Scarlett into the house at the minute, disinfected everything indoors with dettol etc but am I right in thinking this doesn't cover as much as other disinfectants?

All of Buu and Beau's stuff has been shut away for now in a neighbours shed who does not have bunnies, their toys/blankets and stuff is all I have kept litter trays and bottles have been disposed of straight away. Obviously their hutch is still in the garden

Searching on here Virkon seems to be the best? Is this available in pet shops normally, called a few here and they don't have it. Will order but really want to try and get hold of something today as postage to the channel islands can take a while

x

If it's EC, you need to be using a bleach solution - Virkon and the like don't kill EC spores. I always used a 10% bleach solution.

I meant to say, is it possible to not use the blankets for a few weeks? I believe 4 weeks is the amount of time EC spores can survive on surfaces (including textiles etc).

edit: cross posted! Go for 6 weeks to be safe!!

Thanks for letting me know how long until they can play on the grass again :) What I will be disinfecting is the house and patio, plus Buu and Beau's hutch/run

I meant to say, is it possible to not use the blankets for a few weeks? I believe 4 weeks is the amount of time EC spores can survive on surfaces (including textiles etc).

edit: cross posted! Go for 6 weeks to be safe!!

The two blankets aren't going to be used again with any other animals, I am only keeping them because I would like to have them here like how some people keep their cats or dogs collars and stuff. And the toys are only in there because I was in a bit of a rush and upset so threw them all into a box with the blankets, I won't be keeping those

Trip and Scarlett won't be going near these two blankets I have just put them in a neighbors shed for now as I don't feel comfortable with them in the house at the moment and didn't want them in our shed as I keep their litter in there, will leave it the 6 weeks before bringing them back because I would really like to keep them, and they will be washed too x

I've heard stema cleaning is pretty good too. I tend to do that after bleaching. Then I leave for 6 weeks:oops:

Back