• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Waiting for the RSPCA

Tuckerbunnies

Wise Old Thumper
When my Husband was going to work at 7'oclock this morning he shouted up the stairs that there was a bird in the garden and it didn't look well.
I saw it and it was all fluffed up and shaking and I left it for a good while just in case it had flown into a window and was shook up but it was in the same place 2 hours later and so I picked it up and brought it into the house. I can't see any broken wings, or legs but some of his tail feathers seem to be missing. I put him in an open topped rabbit run and kept my eye on him but I wasn't happy I've rang the RSPCA as I can't go to the vets with it as I have my bunnies Poppet and Hope not so good and I'm not leaving them. I rang the RSPCA about 9.30 and they are sending someone to collect the bird sometime today and the lady on the phone asked for a donation. I suppose that's because I've called them out. I've got the bird in a box now awaiting them.

Bird005.jpg

Bird003.jpg

Hope he will be ok. :(

looks like a wee girl black bird though I'm not sure about the white bit on her head. Hope she recovers and is able to be set loose again.:(

your rspca are better than ours! i rang about a bird with a shot wing and they said 'leave it to die'! apparently there is nothing they can do about a wild bird.

i rang another local rspca about a dog clearly very ill, lying in the street. they couldn't come and help him, either (another passerby took him away).

thus was formed my opinion of the rspca - a fund-raising body which exists only to serve itself.

more recently, i have read some positive references to the rspca on this forum.

Last edited:
Does look like a young (maybe last chick of the season) female blackbird. Her head looks a little bit bald. Judging by the tail feathers I'd say she might have been caught by something. Hopefully a nice RSPCA inspector will turn up and help her - or even better, she helps herself and gets better (could be shock). Fingers crossed but well done you for doing something to protect her. :)

your rspca are better than ours! i rang about a bird with a shot wing and they said 'leave it to die'! apparently there is nothing they can do about a wild bird.

I know they do a really brilliant job a lot of the time and many animals have been saved because of them.....but I'm still yet to speak to anyone who has had a good experience when they've called them for help.

The RSPCA guy has just rang me and will be here in about 45 minutes and he said it could be a young bird learning to fly, but I think it look's like an adult. I just hope they can help it as there are so many cat's round here it won't last the night.
How awful to leave a bird to suffer with a shot wing, that's sad. :(

I would ask for an update and if you can visit it before it is released..may stop them just putting it to sleep

The Blackbird has died and I'm so upset and I feel guilty I didn't take it to a vet now but I can't leave my poorly bunnies they come first, but I feel like I've killed it. :cry:

Iv'e just buried it in the back garden, but I had a good look at it and apart from missing tail feathers the wings were perfect and it's little legs. I gave it some worms and it had eaten them. Sometimes if they fly into a window it can cause brain damage or internal injuries in which they can die later so unless it was that I don't know.
I love my wild birds and feed them throughout the year and I have lots who are quite tame including a robin I named Robbie. So this is sad for me.

'Thanks Everyone Anyway'
Maysie x

You did your best...
such fragile little creatures.Chances are shock got to it.Im so sorry for you.xx

Iv'e just buried it in the back garden, but I had a good look at it and apart from missing tail feathers the wings were perfect and it's little legs. I gave it some worms and it had eaten them. Sometimes if they fly into a window it can cause brain damage or internal injuries in which they can die later so unless it was that I don't know.
I love my wild birds and feed them throughout the year and I have lots who are quite tame including a robin I named Robbie. So this is sad for me.

'Thanks Everyone Anyway'
Maysie x

Don't feel bad! You did what you could and to be honest, she would have been for more traumatised going off to the vets than sitting quietly in your back garden. And you fed her - she would have known you were trying to help. Far better going peacefully on her own terms than any other way. I know you won't feel like it but you did a really good thing today. Be proud she picked your garden, someone elses and her last hours could have been much worse. x

Don't feel bad! You did what you could and to be honest, she would have been for more traumatised going off to the vets than sitting quietly in your back garden. And you fed her - she would have known you were trying to help. Far better going peacefully on her own terms than any other way. I know you won't feel like it but you did a really good thing today. Be proud she picked your garden, someone elses and her last hours could have been much worse. x

Aww Thanks.
The RSPCA has just turned up and I had took some photos of her when she was alive and I showed him and he said she was an adult bird, he said he thought she could be a Thrush. Maybe she was an old bird like me.
I gave him £10 for our local branch of the RSPCA.

Back