• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When you've lost a bun (very morbid)

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
When you lose a bun, how do you cope with it? What do you do?

I've realised that the ones that I feel guilt for the death of the pain cuts so deep it will never go, but those that were ill and so the time was right for them (predominantly Summer and Sweep) I just block them out. I was watching their celebration videos (which I posted on donnamt's thread) and just can't relate to those bunnies, or that time when we were going through that, and with Summer it only ended in June. It's a bit disconcerting, but I guess it's my way of just carrying on.

How about you?

I feel a similar way. I feel really guilty about Widget's death (he was got by a fox :() and I still think about it sometimes and cry over it. Those that died naturally, or from illness at a good age I don't feel so sad about. I know there was nothing I could do to stop it and just remember the good times and don't mind so much.
I still love those ones just as much, I just don't tend to dwell on it.

I spent ages browsing through photos when I lost Bungee (my first bridge bunny). I just found her dead so there was no 'getting ready' phase. I felt hugely guilty as I felt I must have let her down badly for not knowing she was ill. The sad thing is I don't have any really nice pictures of her because I didn't have a camera, then didn't use it well and she was dark so hard to photograph. I spent a massive amount of time crying and I cuddled Scratty such a lot ... then I lost Scratty only 9 weeks later when I was still churned up over Bungee :cry::cry: As for how did I cope losing Scrat? I really didn't. I slept on the settee for about 4 months (couldn't bear to be upstairs as she wasn't there), I didn't eat properly and lost a stone, I was a mess. I eventually came round a bit with Artie's help :love::love: Part of me died with Scrat.

Strangely enough I visited Bungee's grave daily to say sorry but when Scrat became buried next to her I rarely go to their graves, I think I have to block that out now, strange it gave comfort for one but is too painful for the other.

I sought adopting a bunny only weeks after losing Scrat which is at odds with how broken I was losing her but it did work out for me. I found it very hard to 'give myself' to Rudy to start with but he was a rescue bunny and very needy of attention so within a few weeks his needs were greater than mine :love::love:

To sum up - it's other bunnies that have helped me cope, though inevitably there is more heartbreak down the line as some point :? (they are worth the pain that comes in the end though)

Last edited:
It varies with me, depending on the bunny.

Bunnies like Freddie and Edith although I miss them terribly I feel that the time was right for them to go and we gave them the best life we could. It feels like the end of a book almost and we can look back and smile about the happy bits.

Then there are bunnies like Austin and Evie who I am so distraught over loosing that I cannot bear to think of them. I can't even look at a photo of Austin as it hurts so much and we lost him in January :cry:

When we have lost lots at the same time we do become numb and do not have time to grieve which isn't good.

Most of the time we do just get on with things and try not to look back, but sometimes things catch up with you and seem to literally punch you in the stomach.

But my way of thinking is that every bunny we have lost would never want us to give up what we do because of them. If we did stop I would feel like we were letting them down. So we carry on in the memory of the buns we have already had pass to the bridge.

I think that makes some sort of sense :?

I always try to concentrate on the living, ie. when Clover died I threw everything into helping my remaining bun Dusty. When she died I threw myself into helping my sicky guinea pigs. I think my only real problem will come if I ever have no animals at all - that would hit me really hard.

growing up with animals in my life so far its inevitable they are going to die before you, i only have 6 rabbits ive been thinking of bigs who is 5 now and think what am i going to do how with his wife cope do i get another or bond a 3 some, but then one of my others could go first its horrid thinking it my indoor ones i am most closest too and they will leave deep holes,

i have lots of piccies of pets past the one i get teary at is my rupet a cat he died aged 8 poisoned he was the healthest of our cats too never had flu fleas, hed sleep in bed with me if it was cold , i find his death the hardest because of the way he went, weve only ever had 3 pets pts the rest lived to old age, the ones who past in old age i am sad but glad they had a good life

my nan always said we are all going to die its how we die was what scared her the most

It makes me go completely off animals. I lost Alistair & Pop 2 weeks ago & I've only been spending time with Suki recently- because she is ill - when I really don't want to be around them. I went like this 2 years ago aswell when I lost Barley & Chocolate. I didn't come on the forum for 2&half weeks either - I don't want to think about rabbits at all.

Then I hug my horse til he gets sick of it.

I got over it though. So I know I will this time.

my last pair moved in with my dad for a year or so before they died, so i was distanced from them - i was also a bit resentful that they loved him more than me! i have regrets about them, though...if i'd been able to have them as house bunnies i'd have known them a lot better.

the one i miss most is my dog. she died in 1973. i felt her spirit remained with me for many years - i could hear her round the house, feel her weight on the bed...spooked me completely! but she was that kind of dog. she loved us and if there was any way she could have stayed with us, she would.

matthew and tabitha are more my 'babies' than any other pets i've had...

I lost Piper in feb. She had what the vets think was,gut stasis.My instincts tell me it was more.
I intitally and sometimes still do, feel quite angry about her death because I feel like I could of done more for her, even though ive had qualified vets reassure me i done everything I could.
Other times i feel choked up and sad some days, because I know Piper took her final breaths in my arms in the vets waiting room, when deep down I feel she should of been at home, with Holli and Phoebe and with the rest of the people who loved her best, not in a smelly,dog filled waiting room :(
I dont think ill ever truly get over loosing Piper, but i am now at the point when something reminds me of Piper, I smile and remember the very funny and lovley times in our short time togeather

I don't really. The first three I lost went so suddenly that I went completely wrong and couldn't cope with anything, getting up in the morning seemed like an insurmountable obstacle, when I lost Poppy my housemate had to look after my remaining buns cos I couldn't seem to remember how.

The loss of Poppy has become fractionally less raw with time but I still can't bear to think of Briony and Guinness, they were both killed by a fox the day after I moved house, I came home from work with some delicious treats for them and what I found doesn't bear thinking about. :(

I can think of Sorrel and feel blessed to have had her in my life. But I will always have doubts over whether I was right to have her PTS when I did, and I will never get over losing my best friend....I have never related to a living thing like I did to Sorrel and I doubt I'll ever have a relationship that close again. Everything is harder without her here. If it wasn't for Apache and Skye I wouldn't even try to go on.

When my sisters bunnies where killed by a fox recently i felt awful because titch her nethie was originally my bun i had with joey but they fought, wish i had known what i know now. I felt guilty because i was angry with her for not having a better run (it was old). I was gutted when my buns died when i was younger but they were old and had a good life which made it a little easier to bear.

Back